Author Topic: Bav 38 Ocean 1997 - regurgitating shower pump  (Read 2599 times)

AB1707

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 1997
Bav 38 Ocean 1997 - regurgitating shower pump
« on: August 06 2015, 04:05 »
Hi all,

Two irritations with the shower pump

1. When it evacuates the shower tray, some of the water comes back up into the basin. I presume this is due to the proximity of the through hull fittings. Other than closing the basin seacock, has anyone else had this?

2. I sometimes get some freshish water in the bilge under companionway. This appears to be from the shower, if it's been poorly emptied. I think this may be a leak around the tray plug hole. Any suggestions how to confirm this

As Colombo says " Just one more thing?
Beside the shower is a chrome pole that runs floor to ceiling that occasionally leaks rusty coloured water - any ideas where that could come from

Thanks in Advance

Adam

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Bav 38 Ocean 1997 - regurgitating shower pump
« Reply #1 on: August 06 2015, 10:19 »
1. If the pump is the same as mine (Flojet R3526 triple membrane pump, very similar in design to the Shurflo Aqua King): There's a valve inside the pump which prevents backflow through the pump. If that valve is tired (likely, if it's the original pump), it won't hold pressure after shutting off and water flows back through the pump. The pump is easy to take apart, so have a look. Might just be some pubic hair stuck in it. If you do replace this, consider changing the membrane as well while you're at it and give the whole thing a good clean. Parts can be found on eBay, although the entire pump isn't too pricey either.

The bodgy solution is to simply add a check (non-return) valve in the hose near the tray.

3. The chrome pole only has two ends, so it must come from either of those. The top goes into a ceiling panel, which is removable, so you would be able to see if it ran in there (unlikely). It's more likely that water simply seeps in at the bottom when showering and runs out later. This should be easily fixable by removing the pole and sealing it at the bottom (white butyl tape). Dry it out well and run some oil through to slow the rusting before you put it back in.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

AB1707

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 1997
Re: Bav 38 Ocean 1997 - regurgitating shower pump
« Reply #2 on: August 07 2015, 10:43 »
Thanks Yngmar