Author Topic: what gear to you have your transmission in while sailing  (Read 1396 times)

mjt2

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
Hi,

Once I motor out of the inlet and am able to shut down the engine and sail, I have been told my different people to either have the transmission in neutral, where the prop is free-wheeling, or in drive, where it is not. 

Those that say Drive say you don't want the propeller spinning the shafts of the sail drive.  Those that say Neutral say, drive adds drag.

Does anyone know what Volvo recommends for the sail drive?  What do you do???

Thanks in advance.

HappyAfloat

• First Mate
    • www.happyafloat.com
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
Re: what gear to you have your transmission in while sailing
« Reply #1 on: August 23 2023, 03:08 »
Depending on your prop, feathering or folding reverse gear otherwise neutral. 

Page 21 of the owner's manual

https://bavariayacht.org/downloads/engine/Volvo%20Owners_Manual-MD2010-20-30-40%207738231-5.pdf

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #2 on: August 23 2023, 11:17 »
Volvo recommendation differs on your engine/gearbox combination. On ours (MD22 + S120-E + fixed 3-blade) it was neutral and we sailed thousands of miles like that. Wouldn't want to do it with the "brake" on. Wear on the saildrive seals was never a problem, I changed them approximately every 2 years with the anode and oil and they were still good at that point.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

symphony2

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #3 on: August 24 2023, 16:05 »
Although the handbook says leave in neutral, many people find the noise when sailing at over 6 knots annoying and engage reverse which does not seem to do any harm except it can sometimes be difficult to get out of gear without starting the engine. There is no interlock to prevent starting in gear.