Author Topic: Bavaria Cruiser 33 Main sheet arrangement  (Read 2934 times)

ANTREVELL

• Able Seaman
Bavaria Cruiser 33 Main sheet arrangement
« on: May 30 2015, 12:05 »
Last weekend the mainsheet which is attached to the cockpit table decided when we accidentally gybed .To wrap itself round my neck and then to throw me against  the cockpit side ,  Breaking my  rib. A very painful experience.
I have always been wary of the mainsheet being attached to the table .
Has anybody modified  this.  I am told it would not be possible to fit a mainsheet track forward of the spray hood.  Any comments would be most gratefully received.

Regards Tony

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
Re: Bavaria Cruiser 33 Main sheet arrangement
« Reply #1 on: May 30 2015, 19:06 »
Don't know whether you could convert it to the double mainsheet arrangement, as on the Cruiser 37?  I find it works well, and obviously makes accidental gybes less of a problem.  But it would need strong points in the coachroof for the 2 blocks.

Ruby Tiger

• Swab
  • Boat Model: BAV33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: Bavaria Cruiser 33 Main sheet arrangement
« Reply #2 on: September 17 2015, 20:35 »
I had the rope wrap around a crew member during an accidental gybe. Fortunately just a bit of a shock. I have therefore stopped using the mid cockpit winch as this puts people in line with this danger.
I did have the rear ones fitted so use those.
Also the rope diameter is too thin causing one crew member to have rope burn. Should I go up a rope size?
The top block 
(Rutgerson) also does not turn smoothly.
Is any one else having these problems?  I still like the simplicity of the system allowing the helm to take over the main.