Author Topic: Crack in hot water hose near hot water tank  (Read 3080 times)

Wayne

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 37
  • Boat Year: 2007
Crack in hot water hose near hot water tank
« on: May 26 2015, 23:55 »
Never struck this before. The red hose near the exit from the hot water tank has a leak. Under pressure there is a fine spray. Am on my yacht sailing up NSW coast. Slowed the leak down with tape. Have plenty of length in hose to "splice" Questions
Can I cut the red plastic hose, uncouple the end from the tank and rejoin.
Will all the water from the tank spill out?
To join the new hose to the end is it similar to a garden hose fitting or do I need special tools?

Any advice will be appreciated.
Wayne

paulemeier1

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 37.2 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: Crack in hot water hose near hot water tank
« Reply #1 on: May 27 2015, 07:46 »
I had the same problem but my leak was to far away to cut of the red plastic. I just bought a new peace of red plastic hose. The installation is very simple. Just cut of the hose with a shap knife. To unlock the hose fitting just press the withe ring to the end end take the hose out. If there is some water coming out, it will leak into the "bilge" sorry have not the english word, there you can take it out.
Thins this happens, I only use the elektrikal heater of the hot water tank if I want to use hot water. Over night I switch of the water pump to be sure not to have 250 Liter water in mey ship......

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #2 on: May 28 2015, 08:12 »
You probably have Whale Quick Connect, details here: http://www.whalepumps.com/marine/pipework.aspx
The brochure has instructions for use, make sure you push 30mm into the join.
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

landes_h

• Able Seaman
  • Blue sky sailor
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #3 on: May 28 2015, 09:29 »
My hot water pipe literally exploded. the problem was that the thermostat was set to max. temp. The service guy thought it's in the "middle" and should be OK, but I looked (afterwards) it was set to 100°C. The hose bursted at the thinnest place. I repaired it with what I had on board and ordered a new one. Be very careful and turn off the heater, the water pump and let the pressure out of the hot water (open tab in bath, etc.). I forgot all that and scalded my wrist very bad.

As described below, with no pressure in the pipe it's easy to release the pipe by pushing the white/grey ring at the fitting.

The system is very practical and easy to work with, a small saw is enough for cutting, although they offer a special cutter.
Greetings
Horst
Bavaria 38 / 2003 berth Portoroz, Slowenia

robgs

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Vision 40
  • Boat Year: 2007
« Reply #4 on: June 04 2015, 21:25 »
I have had several instances of this. The red tubing seems to deteriorate over time due to heat and pin hole leaks develop. If the leak is close to a fitting and there is enough length it is a 30 second job to detach the quick connect fitting, cut a short piece with the leak off and reconnect. If not that piece of tubing must be replaced entirely. The quick connect system is Whale. Over time I have replaced most of the hot water tubing.