Author Topic: flexofold folding propeller  (Read 5093 times)

Aquila

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36 Avantgarde
  • Boat Year: 2012
flexofold folding propeller
« on: May 20 2015, 10:19 »
I am considering putting a folding prop on my 2012 Bavaria 36.  Looking at the YM article the 2 bladed Flexofold comes out as one of the best for my D1-20 Volvo pent.  However I have also read some mixed reviews as well although wonder if thats down to servicing etc.  Has anyone done this change and if so have you any advice for me.  Thank you.

JEN-et-ROSS

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Lagoon
  • Boat Year: 1990
Re: flexofold folding propeller
« Reply #1 on: May 20 2015, 11:14 »
We have a 3 bladed Volvo folding Prop. that was fitted when the yacht ( Bav38 1991 ) was new.
It was rebuilt for the first time last winter by Darglow Engineering for about £350 and was returned with an 'as new' health report ( new oversized pins, blades/gears checked for De-zincing ( there wasn't any ) etc. ) 25 years and still going strong, not bad. I just change the anode annually.
So if your looking for trouble free and long service life, the Volvo is worth a look.
Volvo don't actually make them, I believe it's an Italian company but I may be wrong.

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #2 on: May 20 2015, 23:32 »
I have a FlexoFold 2 blade on a B37 with a 2030 engine. Performance under motor is virtually identical to the original fixed 2 blade, except for being a bit slower from standstill in reverse unless you give it some revs to get the blades open. Common to most folding props and you soon get used to it. as the YM tests showed superior to most other similar props and probably better made.

Jon Haines

• Swab
« Reply #3 on: May 22 2015, 12:36 »
We fitted a Volvo 2 blade folding prop to the D1 30 on our 2012 Cruiser 36 last year.  It works at least as well as the fixed 2 blade prop and seems slightly smoother.

Sweet As

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #4 on: May 23 2015, 23:20 »
We have had a three place Volvo folding prop since new on Bav 36 2004. Has worked well with a little routine maintenance at haul out. Made a mistake once refitting blades, had one of them one gear tooth out relative to the other two. It is not immediately obvious unless you sight the propellor fully closed from the rear (then it is bloody obvious....duh!). Unfortunately, I didn't check and we put her back in the water. It is very clear that something is amiss as soon as you make way under power. Cost me another haul out to spend five minutes refitting the prop blade. 😔
Sweet As
Bav 36

njsail

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #5 on: May 26 2015, 00:47 »
you will hear as many opinions as there are folding props.    I have a Kiwi feathering prop for years now and love it.  i can really feel the difference underway.  no more prop hum either while sailing.   In reverse the thing is a monster...the blades increase their angle and really dig in.   Good luck with any choice...just make sure it is sized and tuned properly for your exact boat/engine model.

singlefish

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #6 on: June 01 2015, 13:42 »
standard volvo 3 blade folder on my 120s saidrive more than adequately does job for me , digs holes in the sea astern and ahead as sooo powerfull , and when folded , no discernable drag

Aquila

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36 Avantgarde
  • Boat Year: 2012
« Reply #7 on: June 01 2015, 14:15 »
Thanks everyone who has contributed.  All good advice and pleased to hear the Volvo folding prop is working well for so many of you.  All helpful for winter lift out and propeller change.  Thanks

robgs

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Vision 40
  • Boat Year: 2007
« Reply #8 on: June 04 2015, 21:06 »
I have a D2-40 in a Vision 40. I replaced the original fixed 3 blade with a 3 blade Gori prop. Could not be happier. Excellent in fwd & rev. Also has overdrive function for calm conditions.