Author Topic: Head/shower 2 underwater seacocks replacment on a B38...HOW?  (Read 5279 times)

solar

Hi,
Took a long look on those two seacocks wondering how it will be possible ever to replace them from the inside with so little working space down there?
They are deep under the sink and even if the head bowl is taken off I still don't see how anyone can play with 2 hands+tools inside that small & dark working space?
Even in an emergency it's almost impossible to put a wooden cone in there on a broken seacock unless you'll break all the walls around them with a hammer.
Anyone here ever replaced his? How? Pic's?
IMHO these are things Bav should think about us,the future owners,when they build their boats!
 :-\

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
    • www.scanmar-odysseus.co.uk
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2006
Do it from the outside.

Get a step drill (Cone shaped) of the appropriate size and drill the flange off from the outside then all will push through into the boat, easy to take apart then even if you cut the pipe in half.

However putting the new one in still requires special tools a box type spanner for the flange.

Email Andy on "Yacht Pipit" or google his web site. He has just done this.
Regards
Odysseus

Odysseus

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
Sorry photo of step drill.

Odysseus
Odysseus

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
Re: Head/shower 2 underwater seacocks replacment on a B38...HOW?
« Reply #3 on: December 04 2013, 11:20 »
Do it from the outside. Get a step drill (Cone shaped) of the appropriate size and drill the flange off from the outside ...
I've just been reminded of this thread.

Will a step drill cope with a 1½" through-hull fitting?

I'm considering getting a Fein MultiMaster, or a cheaper alternative for the job.
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
« Reply #4 on: December 04 2013, 16:01 »
Nigel, I did my heads seacock by taking the skinfitting flange off with a cone drill, and the whole thing pushed through took about 5 minute's to do, all you have to watch out for is keeping the cone aligned correctly so you don't take a lump out of the hull.
You can ask Andy on yacht Pipit who is on this site as he had his done professionally and they used a cone drill.

Odysseus
Odysseus

landes_h

• Able Seaman
  • Blue sky sailor
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #5 on: December 06 2013, 13:31 »
I usually take an angle grinder and carefully take off the head of the feed-thru on the outer side, provided it has a "mushroom" head. The rest can be pushed to inside or pulled from inside. Then you need to fix the surface with filler, clean out the hole and set the new feed-thru with SIKA. This may need two people, one outside to hold the thru-hull, which has two nipples inside to fit some flat metal or so, while the other tightens the nut from inside.
However all depends what brand / type of thru-hull and sea cocks you will use.
On my old boat I replaced all with Marelon thru-hulls and sea cocks, no more corrosion always look clean like new. see here  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHNNVrGPeew

Greetings
Horst
Bavaria 38 / 2003 berth Portoroz, Slowenia