Author Topic: Bavaria 34 Cruiser (2008) Rigging and Owner Manual  (Read 8322 times)

felixshmak

• Swab
  • Boat Model: 34 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2008
Dear Sir/Madam,

We are going to purchase a Bavaria 34 Cruiser (2008), and just had a seatrial earlier today. Unfortunately, the furling foresail and full battened mainsail cart has issues (as we believe the previous owner didn't sail it for a long long time).

we also find the 3-pair of winches were organised in an strange way (to me at least).

Rooftop pair is for all halyard and traveller
Middle pair is the foresail trimming
aft pair is for main-sheet.

Is this the correct arrangement? Never seen any thing like that before 2x winches for main-sheet seems like a waste of resources to me.

I had been on a Vision 44 before, the main-sheet is handled by the those winches on rooftop, and a pair of winches can be free up for Spinnaker sheet or guy.

Thank very much for your help in advance.

Felix

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
Re: Bavaria 34 Cruiser (2008) Rigging and Owner Manual
« Reply #1 on: May 09 2015, 15:25 »
One of the beauties of boats is that it's easy to tailor them to meet your own specific requirements.  The owner may have wanted easier access to the mainsheet for short-handed sailing.  You could easily change things to suit your needs.

felixshmak

• Swab
« Reply #2 on: May 09 2015, 18:40 »
Thanks Tiger79,

Obviously we are the newbies for big boats, scared to change any standard sheeting. Appreciate your advice.

Felix

Domi409

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: B45
  • Boat Year: 2010
« Reply #3 on: May 09 2015, 19:44 »
Hi,
The good news is that you get 3 pairs of winch! The two ones for the main sheet are an option. Number of Bavaria's do not have these two ones!
And I agree with Tiger79, you make changes according to your wishes!
Dom

felixshmak

• Swab
« Reply #4 on: May 10 2015, 06:06 »
Thanks Dom,

I think the problem we have at the moment is the 2008 B34 is not much being purchased, and therefore the user manual is not easily accessed by the non-original owner. Specially for those with the optional Selden Gennaker kit. The owner of our target purchase didn't set it up properly, and never used the chute at all.

To me, he only motor it to close by islands for lunch. (the micro wave is never touched at all, bevause there is no generator aboard now).

Felix

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #5 on: May 10 2015, 09:29 »
You don't need a user manual.  It would be worth getting a rigger to spend an hour or two on board with you, showing you how to set it up properly.  At the same time, you could get the rigging tension checked.

felixshmak

• Swab
« Reply #6 on: May 10 2015, 10:31 »
Thanks Toger79 again.

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #7 on: May 10 2015, 15:37 »
I think the boat in question has what is known as the German mainsheet system where the mainsail is controlled by 2 sheets leading back to the helm rather than having the mainsheet on a traveller on the coachroof with the tail controlled by a clutch and a winch alongside the companion way. On the German system you use the aft two winches for the mainsheet(s) and the forward 2 for the genoa. You can also cleat the mainsheets off and use the winches for a gennaker if you are using one.

There is nothing complicated or difficult about this system and the way it works will become obvious once you use the boat, and in fact it has many advantages over the coachroof mounted system. It is used on several of the latest Bavaria models.

felixshmak

• Swab
« Reply #8 on: May 10 2015, 16:48 »
Thank you Symphony,

It's the first time in my life to see the German system, which is really confused me. Yes as you mentioned, once I get used to it (if we're buying it), shouldn't be a problem.

Cheers.

Felix

battuta

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria Cruiser 31
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #9 on: May 17 2015, 16:03 »
We've got a 2009 B31 Cruiser with a German main system and love it! It's very easy for trimming regardless of what side of the boat you're on. And for tweaking (or emergency dumping) both the main and jib trim while sitting, regardless of what tack you're on.

One side of the main sheet can always be tied off on an aft horn cleat if an extra aft winch is needed. When we fly the gennaker, we simply tie off the jib sheets and use the forward winches. Coach roof winches are thus for everything else including vang tension, etc.

By the way, if the price and state of the boat is right, you'll be very happy with a 2008 B34.  It's basically the same boat as ours, plus a couple more feet of waterline length which makes for a bit more headroom and room at the table and cockpit. Sails great and, unlike cost savings on current era boats, an amazing amount of light and ventilation down below with all the opening hatches and windows. Some weirdness to contend with (like cockpit sitting that is too shallow and too curved) but all in all a great boat and great value.

Good luck with your quest and decision.

Riyad
s/v "Battuta" (2009 B31)
Vancouver, Canada

felixshmak

• Swab
« Reply #10 on: May 19 2015, 06:05 »
Riyad

Thank you very much for the positive comments. We are looking forward for the final sea trial once the main sail car being fixed. Hong Kong is not like the where you all from, sailing is still a minority sport. Spare parts is much difficult to get.

Thanks again.

Felix

DT

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2010
« Reply #11 on: May 29 2015, 01:05 »
If you have purchased it and you would still like a copy. I will send a scan of mine.

Cheers DT

felixshmak

• Swab
« Reply #12 on: May 30 2015, 07:00 »
Dear DT,

Thanks a lot for your offer.

The food news is we just had the final inspection earluer this morning and everything is agreed among us. So in two weeks time (mid of June) we will get the boat onto our mooring.

So if you can scan a copy, then it will be great.

Thank you DT.  :)

Best regards,
Felix

battuta

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria Cruiser 31
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #13 on: May 31 2015, 11:07 »
Congratulations Felix!

-Riyad

felixshmak