Author Topic: Waste tank for Turkish waters  (Read 3197 times)

mick50

• Swab
  • Boat Model: bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 1999
Waste tank for Turkish waters
« on: May 05 2015, 07:20 »
Hi. I'm  having a waste tank fitted for grey and black waste for Turkish waters. Has any body already had this done ?  Do I need a pump to empty my tank in the marinas or do they pump it up and out using their pump   I've been quoted around  2800? + vat. Which seems a lot to me. Any info would be great thanks

BillGiles

• Second Mate
Re: Waste tank for Turkish waters
« Reply #1 on: May 05 2015, 12:36 »
Our B36 is a fairly simple plumbing affair. The waste is pumped straight into the black tank. At the bottom of the black tank is a big outlet seacock. There is also a small breather pipe from the top of the tank through the hull - well above sea level.

So to empty at sea one just opens the big seacock and the waste flows out of the pipe into the oggin. To empty the tank into a facility there is a screw cap on the top of the tank when the suction pipe is inserted to draw out the waste. The only complicated bit of work as far as I can see is putting in the hull outlet. All the rest is plumbing and bit of structural to support and restrain the tank.

I have seen more complicated set ups though where there is a directional valve so that the waste can be directed either overboard or to the tank. In addition I have seen boats with another pump which can pump the black tank out into the facility.

Good luck with all this. And can I say that it pays to keep the black tank really clean and avoid putting paper in it which settles and solidifies over the outlet pipe with all the interesting 'fishing' expeditions this entails to clear it out!

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #2 on: May 05 2015, 15:03 »
Hi Mick

Our setup is like the "..more complicated.." one that BillGiles describes - there's a selector valve on the side of the basin unit in the heads that switches between 'Sea' and 'Tank'. For the tank side, a large bore pipe runs from the valve into (eventually) the top of the holding tank, which is bolted to the bulkhead in the starboard locker. The tank has a breather pipe that exits through the hull just under the toerail. Our tank has two outlets - one runs up to a deck fitting for pumpout and the other goes to an electric Sealand T-series pump, which exits through an underwater hull fitting. As far as I can see, all piping passes through existing holes in the bulkheads (B34/2001/2-cabin). The Sealand pump could suck sparrows off the sidewalk so I don't think there'll ever be a problem with it getting bunged up. However, there are non-return (duckbill) valves either side of the pump, which can invert if it's turned on whilst the seacock is closed (in my defense, it was a newly-purchased boat and an unlabelled switch). Requires a stripdown of the hoses to fix (and a stripdown and rinse-off for oneself afterwards!).

In truth, I would think ?3K+ would be about right for our setup but is a bit steep for your requirements.
ATB

Mark

mick50

• Swab
  • Boat Model: bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 1999
« Reply #3 on: May 05 2015, 16:08 »
Thanks for the feed back. We have Bavaria 38   
Two heads, two sinks, two showers. Also double galley sink all aiming at this new tank so maybe the quote I received not so bad. They did however quote for two pump to be fitted, but it sounds like waste is vacuumed out rather than you pumping it so that's a saving 
Thanks again

BillGiles

• Second Mate
« Reply #4 on: May 05 2015, 19:12 »
A quick think about our water budget on my boat (water in/water out) makes me suspect that your grey water will rapidly fill your waste tank unless it is exceptionally large or you were very, very careful with you water useage. Dip the dishes in the sea for the fish to clean of before a quick fine spray with fresh and same with oneself (except maybe the fish part!).