Author Topic: Squeking noise port side bedroom  (Read 5627 times)

Leslieb1973

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2004
Squeking noise port side bedroom
« on: April 21 2015, 18:23 »
Dear all
My 2004 Bavaria 38 has a squeking noise from the wood panel in the port bedroom.  This noise is coming from behind the door but not from the panel which gives access to the engine.  It is heared mainly when the boat rolls and very annoying during night time.

Has anyone of you had or is having this problem please?

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Squeking noise port side bedroom
« Reply #1 on: April 21 2015, 19:20 »
Hi LeslieB

Can you hear the noise when the engine access panel is out? Anything loose rolling around in the engine bay? Loose cabling or plumbing system? Is the calorifier secured?

On the other hand, it might be the mice falling out of bed and complaining about having their sleep disturbed. They'll stop if you can keep the boat level.

Good luck

Cheers
ATB

Mark

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #2 on: April 21 2015, 19:30 »
Do you think it might be noise from another part of the boat that is being transmitted through the structure? A possibility could be sound, say from the main sheet traveller located over the garage for the companionway hatch, particularly if you haven't secured the boom to prevent it swinging slightly side to side as the boat rolls.

Leslieb1973

• Swab
« Reply #3 on: April 21 2015, 20:33 »
Thanks for the replies

Yes I can still hear the noise when the engine access panel is out.  Checked loose cables, calorifier etc.  The noise is coming from the upright panel.

I will check the boom next time as I have never thought it could come from there.

Spirit of Mary

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #4 on: April 21 2015, 23:37 »
Hi Leslieb,

Maybe the noise you hear is the same as the noise I have sometimes on my BAV 38 2003. This is a squeaking noise coming from the slight deformation of the hull when the boat is rolling. Due to this deformation and because the panels between the 2 aft cabins and the engine room panels as well as the bed floor panels are not laminated together they can have a slight movement between each other. Due to this slight movement (almost invisible) and the stick slip between them you get this noise. I could solve this for a limited time by spraying some Teflon spray in the crevice between the panels. This lubrication finishes the stick slip and so the noise,
It is also possible to end the noise definite by laminating the panels together with epoxy so they can't move to each other anymore. Some Dutch Bavaria owners have solved it in this way. Below pictures of 2 ways of panel fixation.

Ger

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #5 on: April 22 2015, 07:35 »
Hi Leslieb,

Maybe the noise you hear is the same as the noise I have sometimes on my BAV 38 2003. This is a squeaking noise coming from the slight deformation of the hull when the boat is rolling. Due to this deformation and because the panels between the 2 aft cabins and the engine room panels as well as the bed floor panels are not laminated together they can have a slight movement between each other. Due to this slight movement (almost invisible) and the stick slip between them you get this noise. I could solve this for a limited time by spraying some Teflon spray in the crevice between the panels. This lubrication finishes the stick slip and so the noise,
It is also possible to end the noise definite by laminating the panels together with epoxy so they can't move to each other anymore. Some Dutch Bavaria owners have solved it in this way. Below pictures of 2 ways of panel fixation.

Ger

We get similar noise - the more time you spend at sea the more 'squeaks' you get. Whilst [Spirit of Mary] has some good advice you won't stop it all as some of the noise comes from removeable, quick-access panels and you may not wish to glue these together.

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: April 22 2015, 08:28 »
It'll be the Door frame.  They are just dropped in with some silicone behind them.

There is probably a bit without silicone and the frame is queaking against the bulkhead (I've had this).

You might be able to just remove the plastic trim and squeeze some silicone grease or sealant into the gap.

If not, remove the door frame and re-seat it.  Take the screws out (hinges, and there is a screw behind each hinge, and there is a screw inside the latch hole).

Trundletruc

• Second Mate
« Reply #7 on: April 22 2015, 19:35 »
Our Bav36 2002 had the same problem. Squeak was movement between horizontal and vertical panels behind engine. Solved by tightening up the screws which are upwards behind the engine and a fillet of epoxy resin (SP) on the bedroom side.
It was a real pain at night on a rolly anchorage!

Leslieb1973

• Swab
« Reply #8 on: April 22 2015, 19:52 »
Thank you all for your help.  I am glad that not only my boat has this problem cause i was getting worried at first  :)

Will try to solve it as you all suggested.

Thanks again

Salty

• Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: April 22 2015, 20:20 »
Had a similar problem under the forward cabin berth on my B36 (2002). It was a design fault I think where the aft ends of the horizontal panels, excluding the portable in fill pieces that enable access to the fore hold, were inadequately supported. It was cured, permanently I think, with a length of 3" x 2" wood cut to length to fit as near as possible right across, and chamfered at the ends to form a beam which then fitted across under the edge of the panels at the aft end of the opening into the forehold. The panels were then glued and screwed to to the beam, while the chamfered ends of the beam were glued and screwed to the forward timber bulkhead of the toilet compartment on the port side, and similarly secured to the half height bulkhead on the starboard side where that bulkhead forms the aft end of the forehold. That stopped the squeak and any possible embarrassment for couples that shared the forward cabin when the boat was out on charter !!

Imagine

• Swab
  • Boat Model: 36
« Reply #10 on: November 12 2016, 22:01 »
I have the same problem on my 2002 36 made sleeping in aft cabin impossible on an ocean voyage.cant pin down the source

Spirit of Mary

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #11 on: November 13 2016, 20:28 »
See my earlier post.
In the mean time I did the lamination as proposed in the Dutch Bavaria forum. I am happy I did it. The sqeeking noise is gone and my guests can sleep in both back cabins also when I am at anchor and the boat is rolling. One of the best improvements I (my wife) did.