Author Topic: new key  (Read 5494 times)

mick50

• Swab
  • Boat Model: bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 1999
new key
« on: April 17 2015, 10:31 »
 hi
  I am a new owner of a Bavaria 38 so have just come on board here.  I wondered if any one knows were I can get a new key . a simple task thought, but ive been to a few locksmiths and drawn a blank !
 mick

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
Re: new key
« Reply #1 on: April 17 2015, 11:47 »
Hi Mick,

I too had difficulty in being able to get new keys at a sensible price, and so the first couple of spares I purchased were through Clipper Marine, the UK Bavaria agents. I don't remember how much I paid, but a couple of years ago after trying various locksmiths I found a guy with a locksmiths stall on our local market. He took one look at the key I showed him and he said yes he could make new ones and "which boat was it that it came from" I hadn't suggested anything about where it came from so was surprised at his question. The upper key shown in the photo below was one of the ones that Clipper sent, while the lower key is one of the new ones made by the market trader. They are identical other than in name. If I see the guy again, and he does not always come by, I'll try to get a contact name and email address from him and post it here.

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #2 on: April 17 2015, 13:46 »
I got mine cut at a branch of Timpsons - a kiosk in the Sainsbury car park! Not a stock blank, but he found it in a catalogue.

Ripster

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 36 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2011
« Reply #3 on: April 18 2015, 01:07 »
I got mine cut at a branch of Timpsons - a kiosk in the Sainsbury car park! Not a stock blank, but he found it in a catalogue.

+1 - Same here.  Cost £4!

mick50

• Swab
« Reply #4 on: April 18 2015, 11:26 »
thanks il give that a go

joakey

• Swab
  • Boat Model: 46'
  • Boat Year: 2007
« Reply #5 on: May 04 2015, 09:00 »
I have a 2007 46' Cruiser and when I took my key to a locksmith they spent quite a bit of time looking through books but found they needed Mobella blanks to cut additional keys.  They had no problem ordering those so I had 3 addt'l keys cut for a total of $12.  Makes sense since the inside of the lock has a Mobella brand name and a few searches showed replacement parts that matched my lock assembly under the Mobella name.  I've also found ebay searches that have images of the similar looking southco labelled keys using the 3 digit code that is on your current key to order the correct one.

Probably a good idea to write that code down somewhere in case you ever lose all the keys in one go and now there is a way to just order a new key that will match your hatch lock.

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #6 on: May 04 2015, 10:38 »
Probably a good idea to write that code down somewhere in case you ever lose all the keys in one go and know there is a way to just order a new key that will match your hatch lock.

You should find that the number is also stamped on the hatch lock.

mick50

• Swab
« Reply #7 on: May 05 2015, 07:22 »
Thanks that's very useful

landes_h

• Able Seaman
  • Blue sky sailor
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #8 on: May 05 2015, 08:46 »
In Germany I had no problem to get keys made at Mister Minute, which is in every bigger department store. I'm sure you have Mister Minute on the island  ;).
Greetings
Horst
Bavaria 38 / 2003 berth Portoroz, Slowenia

nornie lees

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 30 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2007
« Reply #9 on: May 05 2015, 15:32 »
Hi, locksmith in Gosport high street cut ours, with all the yachts around he seems to keep most marine blanks. It's the locksmith on the right as you walk up high street from ferry.hope this helps all that read this email.

rgds Ray

SV_Calisto

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 37
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #10 on: May 18 2015, 01:33 »
Hi All,

I'm a bit late to this post but I wanted to share my eBay find

I too needed a new key cut and as I work in London's west end finding a locksmith is difficult. I tried the little shoe repair and key cutters shop at Bond Street underground station and was quoted £12.99 for 1 key, I told the guy I'd rather change the lock!

Anyway, after further research I found mb-lock-tec on eBay here's the link http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/mb-lock-tec?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2754

He cut my key from the code on the key (he will also cut from a photo) and sent it to me within 3 days for just £2.79

I've tested the key and it works a treat. So I've ordered another, I just can't resist a bargain

I hope that helps :-)