Author Topic: Cruising chute install - Bav 30  (Read 6542 times)

johnpmason

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2007
Cruising chute install - Bav 30
« on: March 04 2012, 13:22 »
Hi,

I've recently bought a crusing chute for my Bavaria 30 and wondered if anyone has used a similar sail on their 30?

I would like to know how and where the chute tack strop is attached, is it OK to use the centre pulpit support or should I use the bow roller somehow?

Also, where to attach the blocks for the sheets, there are what look like attachment points either side on the pushpit rails but they look too far forward.

Any suggestions would be apprecaited.

Regards

John (Lola)

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: Cruising chute install - Bav 30
« Reply #1 on: April 14 2012, 11:23 »
John,
I have a B37 and use a cruising chute. Please see the Sea Teach website for a 'tacker' - http://www.seateach.com/Results.asp?category=306 . This fits over the furled genoa and keeps the foot above the pushpit rails. I fitted a turning block to the lower fitting of the furling gear and control the foot with the whisper pole uplift halyard using another turning block at the foot of the mast, running forward to the bow. Works for me :-) !

Jim - Dawn Treader

johnpmason

• Swab
« Reply #2 on: April 18 2012, 11:25 »
Thanks Jim, I'll have a play next time i"m on the boat.

Kind regards

John

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #3 on: April 18 2012, 22:51 »
is it OK to use the centre pulpit support or should I use the bow roller somehow?
Also, where to attach the blocks for the sheets, there are what look like attachment points either side on the pushpit rails but they look too far forward.

We attach to the bow roller, outside the pulpit. Sheets go to stern cleats, no blocks.
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

johnpmason

• Swab
« Reply #4 on: April 19 2012, 10:14 »
Thanks Nigel, I've used that setup to try the chute out and I just wanted to know if there were any other ways of doing it.  At the moment it seems to work like a wind maker because as soon as I set it up you can guarantee the wind will increase significantly!!

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #5 on: April 25 2012, 17:46 »
Nigel,
If by 'bow rollor' you mean the anchor roller, then I initially fitted it there on my B37. However, I found the forward part of the deck starting to separate from the hull under the anchor roller as there is no real strength there for any up-lift. Fitting to the forestay fitting gave much more secure fit.