Author Topic: Bavaria 38 ocean cc  (Read 6049 times)

Jam

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 ocean
  • Boat Year: 2000
Bavaria 38 ocean cc
« on: March 24 2015, 22:52 »
Hi
Following purchase of the above boat got rudder bearings replaced as steering was difficult due to rudder bearings binding.  New bearings in and can now turn wheel but there is still a fair bit of resistance.  Cables are not tight and can't see anything wrong down below.  Boat is out of the water at the moment on testing.  Also the cover and ring at top of rudder stock was replaced, had to be manufactured as previous contractors had damaged them! As I didn't see the original how does this ring work, can't see any locking screw, should this ring rotate with the rudder stock as mine does with the cap unscrewed.  If anyone with at ocean 38 cc  or bigger model can help please get it touch......I am going back to engineer tomorrow.  Luckly all work was done at sellers expense, however hoping to go in soon
Thanks
John

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Bavaria 38 ocean cc
« Reply #1 on: March 25 2015, 09:15 »
Hi John

Silly question perhaps, but have you slacked off the friction nut in the wheel hub? I assume it's a new boat to you so you may not be aware of it. My apologies if you've already done it.
ATB

Mark

Jam

• Able Seaman
« Reply #2 on: March 25 2015, 13:42 »
Yes, slackened off.  Only other thought would be friction from autopilot which i think is chain driven, the motor is below the wheel in engine compartment.  I would like to know what the original locking ring looks like, they have fitted one with a grub screw at side.  Was that how it was supplied as new?
Any other Bavaria 38 ocean cc owners out there, any help appreciated.
John

Spirit of Mary

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #3 on: March 25 2015, 21:50 »
Yes, slackened off.  Only other thought would be friction from autopilot which i think is chain driven, the motor is below the wheel in engine compartment.  I would like to know what the original locking ring looks like, they have fitted one with a grub screw at side.  Was that how it was supplied as new?
Any other Bavaria 38 ocean cc owners out there, any help appreciated.
John
I am almost sure that a Bavaria 38 Ocean uses the same locking nut as all the Bavarias between 2000 and 2010. It is a pretty flat nut with fine thread and has a horizontal split till almost halfway. The locking principle is based on , once the nut is tightened till the vertical play in the rudder bearings is zero (not more tight!),  this split is squeezed together with a M6 or M8 bolt till it sufficiently clamps on the thread of the rudder shaft. Original this bolt is with a cross for using a screw driver, but this you cannot get it tight enough, resulting in more axial clearance after some time and even the rudder dropping down till the quadrant sits on a wooden stiffening board. Better is to used an Allen head screw (Inbus called in Europe) which allows to use better tools for tightening.

Jam

• Able Seaman
« Reply #4 on: March 26 2015, 00:03 »
Can anyone with bavaria 38 ocean confirm this for me regarding locking mechanism

Also any ideas re stiff rudder following bearing replacement let me know.

John

geoff

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: 40 ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #5 on: March 26 2015, 09:29 »
The 40 ocean is as described so my guess is that the 38 will be also Geoff

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #6 on: March 26 2015, 09:45 »
The 40 ocean is as described so my guess is that the 38 will be also Geoff
Changed my bearings (B37 2006) this year and can turn the wheel with my little finger. The steering mechanism on my model is by arm and ball joint - no cables. Suggest you isolate the rudder from the steering mechanism and then reconnect piece-by-piece to see when it drags. BTW Not only were my bearings worn but my autopilot motor was also seizing and that had to be repaired too  :-[ ££££££

Note that the nut on the top is to hold the rudder onto the boat but should not be over-tightened - it should move freely with the rudder. On my B37 2006 the locking nut has a slice taken out horizontally and a small screw is used to collapse this part of the nut once fitted. The tightening of this nut pushes the threads out of place slightly and provides security from unscrewing. Sorry, can't provide photos as the boat is still out of the water and the nut is all that is keeping the rudder in the air  ;)

Spirit of Mary

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #7 on: March 26 2015, 10:37 »
Here some pictures of the rudder shaft locknut, common on all? Bavaria's. You can see the small cross head screw, which I replaced by an Allen head , Inbus screw for better tightening.

Jam

• Able Seaman
« Reply #8 on: March 26 2015, 14:51 »
The engineers have refitted the top nut on the rudder stock.  They had the get one made as it was damaged by previous contractor.....it a long story.  They have fitted a locking ring which screws on to rudder stock but the outer circumference has a thread on it to screw on the protective dome fitting.  There is a small hole at side of the locking ring for a grub screw.  I am now concerned that it hasn't been a like for like replacement.  Worried about a small grub screw holding the ring in place well and possibly damaging threads?
As I said this is a new boat for me so no idea of previous fitment.
John
Maybe I am just a worrier?😬

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #9 on: March 26 2015, 16:13 »
There is a small hole at side of the locking ring for a grub screw.  I am now concerned that it hasn't been a like for like replacement.  Worried about a small grub screw holding the ring in place well and possibly damaging threads?
😬

This fitting is the same as my B37. The 'small grub screw' should be a tapered head screw and is only provided to prevent the locknut working loose - it does not go completely through the nut, so is adequate for that task. The engineers you have used appear to have done a good job of replicating the original fitting. With the steering mechanism disconnected the rudder should be free to move with very little effort. The wheel should also turn freely with the rudder disconnected from the steering - does it? As stated above by MarkTheBike - are you aware of it's operation and have you slacked off the friction nut in the wheel hub?

Jam

• Able Seaman
« Reply #10 on: March 26 2015, 16:46 »
Thanks, that's a relief as everyone seemed to have another locking mech to me and as I said I didn't get sight of the original.  The survey said it's still too tight so engineer coming back to have a look.  Everything including the cables have been slackened off as well as wheel nut.  Thinking it may be the autohelm drive or cables up at wheel end.   Driving me nuts as it's taken over 6 months to get bearings in and rudder on as last contractor let us down.  Previous owner had started the repair as part of contract for me buying boat......have been discussing a rudder for a while and now on is still not quite right.....really annoying as engineer was going to leave it like that!

Thanks to everyone who as got back to me appreciated again....sure I will be on about something else in the near future, it's a great resource on buying a new/old boat
John