Author Topic: Main Sheet Mods.  (Read 3333 times)

Konan the Bavarian

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 37 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
Main Sheet Mods.
« on: March 16 2015, 03:19 »
I have recently bought a 2006 Bav 37CR which I socially race and it is surprising quick to windward. When short hand, or single handed, however, I find it difficult to trim the main from the helm. Now before anyone says it, yes I know it is the cruising model not the match series, however, I would be interested to learn if anyone has made any revisions that would allow them to trim main & headsail from the helm position on a bav cruiser, without putting a traveller in the cockpit.

paulemeier1

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 37.2 Cruiser
Re: Main Sheet Mods.
« Reply #1 on: March 16 2015, 06:06 »
great ship, I have the same one.

I have not changed but there is a possibility Ithink.

You have to instal a Germen main sheet system. But a single roll at the backward point of the boom. nectone is a double to the front. At mast instal the next double. From there one part gos to port one to star bord. Instal each side on the ground at the püttings a single block. From there the line go to the stern. Each side a single block and up to the Spi winches. So you can reach it from the helm.

I have seen in the internet.

Sorry for my bad english, hope you can understand what I mean.

battuta

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria Cruiser 31
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #2 on: March 16 2015, 14:11 »
We have the German Main system on our 2009 B31 Cruiser and love it. It was an option I stewed over whether or not to get when we bought the boat, and you'll find an old thread about this on the Bavaria Owners Association forum if you are also a member there.

Traveller is on the coach roof just forward of the dodger. System allows for easy trimming of the main from either side of the helm. A bit more friction, but totally manageable. Only downside is some winch juggling (either using a forward winch or cleating off one side of the main sheet to free up an aft winch) when flying a spinnaker.

I singlehand a lot and it's a great setup for that - worked well for me last summer circumnavigating Vancouver Island. Highly recommend it!

Riyad
Vancouver, Canada

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #3 on: March 17 2015, 07:29 »
... old thread about this on the Bavaria Owners Association forum if you are also a member there...
Could I request that any BOA members make sure that this free forum gets a mention occasionally.
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

Konan the Bavarian

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 37 Cruiser
« Reply #4 on: March 19 2015, 02:27 »
Thank you for your responses.

Yes, I like the idea of the German sheeting system. I did see it on a bav 38 some months ago, although I couldn't get a close look at it. It seemed to have an upright sheave mounted on the base of the lower shrouds at deck level for the main sheet to lead astern. Has anyone seen this fitting, or how the main sheet is lead aft. A photo maybe?