Author Topic: replacing Deck Organisers  (Read 3719 times)

Konan the Bavarian

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 37 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
replacing Deck Organisers
« on: March 15 2015, 22:32 »
I currently have 1x double (2x) on a 1x quadruple (4x) on both sides of the deck, on my 2006 Bav 37CR. I am looking at replacing the doubles with another quadruple organiser, as not all lines currently run back tot he cockpit.
If anyone has anyone remove their deck organisers before, can you tell me if they are bolted down, and whether I need to access nuts & washers on the underside of the deck to remove/replace them.

I also have the same questions for the jam-cleats in the cockpit.

Thank you.

PS: lovin' the Bav forum - thank you Mr editor!

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
Re: replacing Deck Organisers
« Reply #1 on: March 16 2015, 07:07 »
I have a B37 2006 and have removed both the organisers and clutch units - they are bolted/screwed down but the seats are sealed so nothing to drop. Bring your biggest tools - mine were very tight and difficult to remove :-\

Lazy Pelican

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
« Reply #2 on: March 16 2015, 10:34 »
There are aluminium plates laminated into the deck. Your deck organisers/ jammers are fixed by machine screw (bolt) into threaded holes in the aluminium plate, so no nuts to worry about. You will need to drill and tap additional holes if you extend either.

John

Moodymike

• Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: March 16 2015, 11:04 »
I am looking for a way to add jam cleats alongside the clutches to take the traveller lines, any ideas?

dawntreader

• Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: March 16 2015, 14:57 »
I have added a new clutch for my third reef and fitted it to the inside of the existing four clutches - in my case to the left of the starboard clutches. The existing plate on my B37 2006 extended sufficiently for me to do this. However, you will find access to the plate from underneath (in the cabin) nearly impossible as the inner skin fitting was built over the plate and it is not visible. I decided not to try and tap a thread into the existing plate and instead managed to drill through to the inner skin and used nut inserts to provide anchorage. I did this by removing some of the roof trim just on the inside above the companionway steps and some long-nosed pliers.

For the deck organisers I just piggy-backed onto the existing ones by using longer bolts - no drilling necessary this way.

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #5 on: March 16 2015, 18:33 »
Out of interest, and bearing in mind the corrosion possibilities of stainless fixings in aluminium plates, would it be worthwhile removing fixings, applying Duralac and refitting them?  That way, if it's necessary to remove them at some future point it might be easier.

dawntreader

• Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: March 16 2015, 19:33 »
Out of interest, and bearing in mind the corrosion possibilities of stainless fixings in aluminium plates, would it be worthwhile removing fixings, applying Duralac and refitting them?  That way, if it's necessary to remove them at some future point it might be easier.

That's a sensible way to go forward but letting yourself in for a lot of work  :-\