Author Topic: Bavaria 38 ocean saildrive removal  (Read 4486 times)

Jam

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 ocean
  • Boat Year: 2000
Bavaria 38 ocean saildrive removal
« on: March 14 2015, 23:55 »
Hi
Removed 6 bolts holding gearbox on to engine plus removed bolts holding ring onto sealing gasket.  Pushed engine forward but unable to disingauge gearbox dispite trying to pull gearbox back.  Am I missing something , exhaust hoses ect all removed. Saildrive/gearbox remain fixed to engine.  Can anyone help?
John

geoff

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: 40 ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Bavaria 38 ocean saildrive removal
« Reply #1 on: March 15 2015, 08:44 »
John it sounds as if you have done it right to me ,I cant remember the number of bolts that connect engine to gearbox but it is just a ring of bolts and then the exhaust hose. After that it can only be a bit of friction on the splines. Geoff   Ocean 40/md22l

JEN-et-ROSS

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Lagoon
  • Boat Year: 1990
« Reply #2 on: March 15 2015, 09:15 »
Hi. I did this a few years ago when replacing our old Volvo 2003 (B38 but older than your Ocean) with a BETA 30 while retaining the 120 gearbox and leg as they were more modern than the engine. (but that's a different story)
 You didn't mention what engine you have but the principal will be the same. As our photo shows it's only the six bolts that retain the gearbox, so it should just slide off.

Jam

• Able Seaman
« Reply #3 on: March 15 2015, 10:37 »
Hi
Thanks for replys, the engine is a MD22L and saildrive 120S bavaria 38 ocean.
Not sure if I am meant to remove circular ring of bolts on engine or just those on the gearbox ( there are three either side which appear to hold it to the engine.  Diagrams seem to indicate removal of these although the third on is not shown on these diagram, it's above the 2 on each side.  The tightening torque is shown for the circular ring of bolts on engine, just in front of gearbox but it doesn't indicate removal om previous.  Maybe wiggling flywheel will help free the spines?  I've removed the three each side so far and gearbox remains fixed to engine

Any help appreciated
John

Spirit of Mary

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #4 on: March 15 2015, 11:35 »
Hi, Have a look at this Youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxqHqOwC78c

Jam

• Able Seaman
« Reply #5 on: March 15 2015, 12:59 »
Yes thanks looked at it before starting and from this it looks like I've removed correct bolts.  Not sure if this is completely same engine/Saildrive as my boat though.
John

Spirit of Mary

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #6 on: March 15 2015, 13:31 »
Yes thanks looked at it before starting and from this it looks like I've removed correct bolts.  Not sure if this is completely same engine/Saildrive as my boat though.
John
What I remember this is a video from a member of the Dutch Bavaria Sailing club. What I recall is that he had a 55 hp engine, so maybe not the same as you have. But I believe the saildrive is the same, a 120S.
Ger

Jam

• Able Seaman
« Reply #7 on: March 15 2015, 16:55 »
Thanks Ger
Instructions for assembly indicate blocking up gear box on a rod through small hole.   I may try this for disassembly as well the blocks I've got already under sump of engine in an attempt to get everything level.
Thanks
John

Jam

• Able Seaman
« Reply #8 on: March 24 2015, 22:56 »
Just to let everyone know that got it separated.......
Needed to hit gearbox with soft wood and a rubber mallet to release, eventually just popped out!!  Post may help someone it the future

John