Author Topic: LED strip lights for the engine room...  (Read 8013 times)

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
LED strip lights for the engine room...
« on: March 10 2015, 19:56 »
After peering around with a torch at night in the engine room, I thought it would be a good idea to fit some permanent lighting.  To get the best spread of illumination, I wanted a couple of strip lights, with an automatic switch so the lights come on whenever the companionway steps are lifted.  I found some cheap, high output LED strips - 9 watt per 50cm strip.  Each strip has 36 LEDs, but you can adjust the length easily by cutting after every third LED.  I had to reduce the length by 8cm (removing 6 LEDs).  I screwed the strips to the underside of the cockpit floor, and the foil-lined insulation ensures that light gets evenly spread around.  The strips are about £5 for a pair.  I added a £1 car-type courtesy light switch.  The result is brilliant - really good all-round illumination.

The LED strips I bought are here - http://www.banggood.com/2X-50cm-9W-5630-SMD-White-Waterproof-Rigid-Strip-Cabinet-Light-12V-p-940643.html

Aquila

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36 Avantgarde
  • Boat Year: 2012
Re: LED strip lights for the engine room...
« Reply #1 on: March 10 2015, 21:13 »
What a great idea, so simple but excellent result. saves trying to hold a torch at the same time.  thanks for posting

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #2 on: March 11 2015, 07:55 »
A really neat job Aquilla. I did a similar installation but included red LED under the steps, using a manual switch. This allows for night lights in the cabin and a clear view of the engine too. As they're LED no need to worry that they're all 'on' at the same time.

Ripster

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 36 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2011
« Reply #3 on: March 24 2015, 12:15 »
Great idea and easily wired in.  Very neat job too.  I already have low level (footwell) cockpit lighting (soft white) and flood lighting over the cockpit table, so can tap into this.  Thanks for sharing peops.

suibhne

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #4 on: May 10 2015, 11:00 »
Great idea just fitted my engine compartment as above -very impressive.
I found a spare set of wires behind the toilet sink as the power supply.
They were factory fitted and I think intended for macerator for holding tank but the macerator was never installed.
The macerator switch and fuse on switch board controls the supply

BillGiles

• Second Mate
« Reply #5 on: May 10 2015, 14:40 »
One of my clever boat partners put one behind the glass filter bowl. This makes it easy to see if there is crap in the bowl and also reminds one to check it. We don't have an auto on switch though.

He has also permanently installed a USB outlet bank above one of the saloon bunks so the chart table does not get cluttered with leads coming from the 12V cigarette lighter socket.

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
« Reply #6 on: May 10 2015, 16:25 »
One of my clever boat partners put one behind the glass filter bowl. This makes it easy to see if there is crap in the bowl and also reminds one to check it.

If the filter is correctly plumbed in, the fuel in the bowl has been filtered and therefore there won't be any crap in it.

BillGiles

• Second Mate
« Reply #7 on: May 10 2015, 17:50 »
We had a diesel bug which turned water into horrible gooey stuff at the bottom of the bowl. It infected the fuel line near the on/off cock which stopped the fuel flow. Which stopped the engine off Beachy Head and was therefore quite dangerous. The metal bowl has been replaced with glass and the appearance of water can be dealt with before it turns into 'crap'.

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
« Reply #8 on: May 10 2015, 19:31 »
We had a diesel bug which turned water into horrible gooey stuff at the bottom of the bowl. It infected the fuel line near the on/off cock which stopped the fuel flow. Which stopped the engine off Beachy Head and was therefore quite dangerous. The metal bowl has been replaced with glass and the appearance of water can be dealt with before it turns into 'crap'.

Diesel bug develops in the tank, and is filtered out by the filter element.  So, unless the filter element is damaged, you won't see any in the bowl.  There may be water present.

MIA

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39 Cruiser
« Reply #9 on: June 09 2015, 10:13 »
I installed these LED's outside

Aquila

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36 Avantgarde
  • Boat Year: 2012
« Reply #10 on: June 09 2015, 12:08 »
very good, underwater light next?

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #11 on: June 09 2015, 18:41 »
Stunning, MIA. S!
ATB

Mark

Stuart

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria Cruiser 42
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #12 on: June 10 2015, 02:56 »
Awesome job on the lights MIA ;D
I see a lot of work crawling around running those wires.
Cheers

Stuart

MIA

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39 Cruiser
« Reply #13 on: June 10 2015, 03:28 »
The worst bit of the job was getting the cable to the control panel the rest was easy  ;D