Author Topic: Simple fly/mosquito screens  (Read 3571 times)

Wayne

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 37
  • Boat Year: 2007
Simple fly/mosquito screens
« on: March 05 2015, 23:44 »
I am testing at the moment an easy/cheap way of attaching flyscreens for side windows and hatches on my Bav 37. I am trialling large elastic bands (a local office supply outlet has huge thick ones). Apart from the two large hatches, the bands easily keep flyscreen mesh in place if secured on the outside. Problem here is have to take them off to secure hatch. If I place bands on the inside the smooth timber surround doesn't allow bands to "stick". Working on this one.

The timber around the windows on the inside has a small ridge that keeps the bands in place (mind you have had the odd one fly off around the cabin, wife not happy!). Will see how the above holds up over a month or so.

I am also about to make a fly screen insert for the hatch to slide in where the washboards go. I bought a fly screen kit from a hardware outlet and will make one up.

Anyone else have idea on making simple screens

Wayne

Stuart

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria Cruiser 42
  • Boat Year: 2005
Re: Simple fly/mosquito screens
« Reply #1 on: March 09 2015, 02:36 »
Hi Wayne
I took a template of our drop boards and had the local glass shop make up some alluminum frames with screens to match inexpensive as far as a boat about 30 Can$
Cheers

Stuart

s/y Susanne

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 44/3
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #2 on: May 20 2015, 10:59 »
I have stuck self-adhesive velcro (the hook side) about 20mm wide inside the vertical face of the plastic trims that covers the join between the aluminium of the hatch frame and the boat.  Mosquito netting simply presses into place, can quickly be parted to close the hatches when it rains, and washed when they have filtered enough dust to make them look bad! I find that if I make the net oversized for the hatch and don't draw it too tightly it stays in place even in strong wind.

For the companionway I have a velcro strip across the sliding hatch and hang a curtain of netting. This mates with a strip of velcro either side of the companionway just forward of the channel that takes the wash-board. The resultant curtain certainly seems to keep out even the most determined blood-suckers and a good night's sleep ensues providing we remembered to implement "bio-defence measures" before opening the wine.
Stewart

paulemeier1

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 37.2 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #3 on: May 21 2015, 05:26 »
Hi stuart habe  You a  picture of your  solution?