Author Topic: Electric Hot Water heater  (Read 4290 times)

Konan the Bavarian

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 37 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
Electric Hot Water heater
« on: March 03 2015, 01:19 »
I have a 37 cruiser 2006 , and the hot water heater does not work on shore power. I suspect the element may need to be replaced. Does anyone have any experience in replacing the element, and any advice where to source an element from. Thanks in advanced.

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
Re: Electric Hot Water heater
« Reply #1 on: March 03 2015, 07:29 »
I replaced mine [B37 2006] from a Chandler then found them in B&Q for half the price! They are readily available from most plumbing stores and mine came with the large spanner needed to undo/tighten it. When replacing make sure you seal the threads with PTFE tape. See attached photo.
Regards,
Jim

JEN-et-ROSS

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Lagoon
  • Boat Year: 1990
« Reply #2 on: March 03 2015, 10:56 »
Be aware that the elements available from B&Q and Plumbers Merchants are for domestic use and therefore be approx. 2.5-4.0kw. The one in your boat will only be rated at 800w-1.5kw, though they are physically identical,
 ( you don't want to melt your shore power cable !!) hence the price difference,

Spirit of Mary

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #3 on: March 03 2015, 22:09 »
I have a 37 cruiser 2006 , and the hot water heater does not work on shore power. I suspect the element may need to be replaced. Does anyone have any experience in replacing the element, and any advice where to source an element from. Thanks in advanced.

Are you sure the electric heater is gone? There is also an electric thermo switch which maybe cuts off at high temperature when heating on engine cooling water. This temperature is sometimes higher then the thermo switch setting. This thermo switch can be reset.

Konan the Bavarian

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 37 Cruiser
« Reply #4 on: March 03 2015, 23:03 »
Spirit of Mary: with engine cold & shore power on, the heater does not heat. Seems to me to be an element problem.
Thanks for the advice, I can approach it with more confidence.

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #5 on: March 06 2015, 08:22 »
The correct type of heating elements and thermostats are available at Penguin Engineering  http://www.penguineng.com/index.html
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

Craig

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #6 on: March 09 2015, 09:53 »
We replaced our 1200w element with a 500w element so that we can heat water from our generator rather than turn on the engine whilst at anchor. A 1kva generator will charge the batteries and heat your water at the same time.

We have a Quick brand heater as the original DL heater corroded through the heat exchanger in less than 2 years.