Author Topic: fRIDGE CONDENSATION  (Read 3951 times)

John Jenkins

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Vision 42
  • Boat Year: 2013
fRIDGE CONDENSATION
« on: March 02 2015, 03:56 »
Hi
I just purchased a 12 month old Vision 42.
I am finding a considerable amount of condensation at the bottom of my 12v fridge.
As there is no drainage plug !! I have to remove water by rags or syphoning.
Any remedies or suggestions.
My fridge has 2 opening doors at top and one side door.
Thanks

Pax

• Swab
Re: fRIDGE CONDENSATION
« Reply #1 on: November 08 2016, 19:21 »
Hi John,
I have the same boat and the same situation, although not as severe as you describe (I have to sponge the water out 2-3 times per season). I consider having a dry bilge worth the mopping up.

Do check that the doors seal well, as any air leaking around the gaskets will worsen condensation.

Kibo

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Vision 46
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #2 on: November 08 2016, 19:41 »
We have a 2014 Vision 46.

Fitted a drain suction tube inside the fridge and this is connected via a Y valve to the electric switched bilge pump, when you want to drain the fridge simply switch over the Y valve and turn on the bilge pump. To ensure that it doesn't clog the drain the tube is run vertically downwards leaving just 2mm or so clearance from the fridge floor. Once operated it sucks out the water like a vacuum cleaner. Works very well.

We don't get much in the way of condensation but we do get water in the fridge due to melting ice since we sail/live in the Caribbean.

I am heading down to our boat next week for a few months liveaboard. If I get chance I will post pictures.
Ian
SV Kibo, 2014 Bavaria Vision 46

Kibo

• Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: November 21 2016, 00:24 »
Hi again,

I was wrong about the fridge drain mechanism. My fridge does have a drain outlet on the bottom rather than a vertical hose using suction as I described previously (My first mate reminds me that this was on our previous Cruiser 42)

The bilge pump/fridge drain suction is as described though and works very well. I guess I would suggest putting a drain in your fridges and connecting a tee valve so the secondary bilge pump can be used for either the bilge or the fridge.
Ian

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #4 on: November 21 2016, 00:47 »
I'm still very happy with my modified fridge drain. It only needs emptying once a month or so, and adding a bit of bleach in keeps the bucket clean.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Kibo

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: November 23 2016, 22:43 »
Here is a photo of my fridge drain set up. T valve which switches flow between fridge or back up bilge pump
Ian

havasupai

• Swab
  • Boat Model: B44
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #6 on: November 28 2016, 19:03 »
I put up with sucking the melted ice water out of the fridge for years, until I finally drilled a hole in the far left hand corner and attached a length of transparent plastic pipe with a tap on the end.
It doesn't drain into the bilge, but into a saucepan each time you do it, and it took half an hour and cost very little. It certainly beats pumping it out with a manual bilge pump.