Author Topic: Harken Winch Parts  (Read 6148 times)

patprice

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Swanson 36 and Bavaria 42
  • Boat Year: 2000
Harken Winch Parts
« on: January 16 2015, 00:20 »
Hi all
My year 2000 Bavaria 42 has Harken 40.2ST halyard winches and 48.2ST's for the headsail sheets.
These are the 1992 -1999 series winches.
I need some parts, in particular line peelers and a guide arm.
In more detail the following:

For the 48.2ST.
Part Number 33753 Line Peeler ( 1 off )
Part Number 33751 Spring ( 1 off )

For the 40.2ST
Part Number 26915 Guide Arm  ( 1 off )
Part number 33952 Line Peeler  ( 1 off )
Part Number 6040 Screw  ( 2 off )

Harken Australia advise as follows...." Componentry for these old old winches is no longer available...". Gosh, are they really old !

Does anyone have information as to where I might get the parts from ? Would be eternally grateful for help.

Pat

Ripster

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 36 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2011
Re: Harken Winch Parts
« Reply #1 on: January 16 2015, 10:55 »
You have probably done this, but I googled (out of curiosity) one of the part numbers and a company called P2Marine popped up with them in stock.  I know they are in the US, but international shipping shouldn't be too bad.   www.p2marine.com  Maybe drop them an email.

geoff

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: 40 ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #2 on: January 16 2015, 12:02 »
Getting the parts re-chromed may be a better option. vintage car people may be the best bet. Geoff

patprice

• Able Seaman
« Reply #3 on: January 17 2015, 05:21 »
hi Ripster

Thanks for your thoughts. I live in Tasmania which has the best cruising grounds in the world but I keep the Bavaria 42 in Greece which has the second best cruising grounds in the world lol. I do have a 36 footer here, not a Bavaria.

Some months ago I contacted P2marine but they said they do not export to Australia but gave me the address of the Australian agent who cannot supply the parts. So I asked P2 if they can send the parts to Greece but did not get a reply. P2 did not say if they have the parts. I might give them another try and if they have the parts I can have them sent to a friend in America before on sending.

Thanks again.

Pat

patprice

• Able Seaman
« Reply #4 on: January 17 2015, 05:23 »
Hi geoff and thanks.

The parts I need are mostly plastic bits and broken. Mainly the strippers that stop the line from winding itself around the ST jaws and jamming.

Pat

patprice

• Able Seaman
« Reply #5 on: January 29 2015, 04:23 »
I have been back to P2marine and although they list the parts I need and give a price, they are not in stock and say they cannot get them. Fair enough I guess but a bit strange.

These winches are not that old, it is remarkable that a company the size of Harken do not support them.  Assume they are looking at selling new winches. A new winch say $2,000, the part I am after is $8 !!

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #6 on: January 29 2015, 22:40 »
Sounds to me like an ideal job for a small machine shop to manufacture from scratch. Do you still have all of the broken parts so that they have enough to go on to make new. Also you mentioned about having parts sent to Greece. Years ago near to the shipyard at Scaramanga in Greece there were many small machine shops who were able to make parts, take in the broken bits and they would make new broken bits. The trick was to tell them that the broken bits needed to be supplied unbroken. Seriously there must be machine shops in Tasmania or in the South East part of mainland Australia that could make the parts you need at considerably less money than the cost of a new winch. Worth a try !!

patprice

• Able Seaman
« Reply #7 on: February 02 2015, 07:30 »
Salty thanks for your help. Unfortunately I did not envisage a problem getting parts when I laid up Penelope in Greece and came home to Tasmania for the southern summer. So I do not have the broken parts with me.

On return to Greece in May I will do what you say unless I get the parts meanwhile. Still trying.

Mirror45184

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 40
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #8 on: March 31 2015, 11:17 »
Hi Patprice,
Try Hutton Arco winch co, no relation Allen Hutton generally carries all spares fro older winches and can source most parts
http://www.arco-winches.com/
They supplied a set of hydraulic winches for Synergy when she was lunched, two Primaries and two main sheet winches (2009) worked very well.

Good luck
Mark Hutton
Synergy
B40
Mark Hutton
SV SYnergy
B40 Cruiser 2009

patprice

• Able Seaman
« Reply #9 on: March 31 2015, 22:08 »
Salty

Thanks for your excellent suggestions. Only one of the winches is damaged so I do have a part to use as a model. Unfortunately I do not have the parts in tasmania so will follow your advice in greece if I have no luck meanwhile.

I'm cranky that Harken do not support their product.

patprice

• Able Seaman
« Reply #10 on: March 31 2015, 22:12 »
Hi Patprice,
Try Hutton Arco winch co, no relation Allen Hutton generally carries all spares fro older winches and can source most parts
http://www.arco-winches.com/
They supplied a set of hydraulic winches for Synergy when she was lunched, two Primaries and two main sheet winches (2009) worked very well.

Good luck
Mark Hutton
Synergy
B40

Hi Mark
Thanks for the good advice. I had previously spoken with Allen. He is well known in the Australian "winch space". But he could not help.

Harken are disappointing and provide sub standard product support. Allen has supplied parts for my 30 year old Barlow winches in Australia !!