Author Topic: Bavaria 37 twin wheel  (Read 5863 times)

Vjs

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2013
Bavaria 37 twin wheel
« on: November 02 2014, 11:07 »
Peter
Any chance of a run down of what you think of the boat, coming from a halberg how does she feel to you, safe, comfy, fast,  or a load of rubbish
Different boat I know but same hull etc
Got some big plans for next year so just wondering how far you would take yours

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
Re: Bavaria 37 twin wheel
« Reply #1 on: November 02 2014, 16:23 »
Well, it's early days still, as I've only done a few hundred miles so far.  The commissioning in Devon was delayed by about 3 weeks, so I didn't take delivery until 18 August, then brought her back via Brighton, Eastbourne and Ramsgate.  After getting back to the east coast, we were then away in September on a pre-booked holiday in Fuerteventura, so we didn't use it much as a result. 

Then at the beginning of October the boat came out of the water for the missing DuraDeck to be installed.  After the fiasco with the jokers in Devon, I wrote to Bavaria's CEO to request their direct intervention to get a new set of DuraDeck panels sent over and fitted by a German team.  They agreed, but gave Clipper the job of coordinating here in the UK.  To cut a long story short, the DuraDeck panels which had been supplied in July with the boat were sent from Devon to Clipper on the south coast, then sent by Clipper to the east coast.  By then, 4 of the 8 panels were damaged beyond repair.  The Germans came to fit them, took one look and went back home to Germany.  The boat has now been out of the water for a month, and I'm once again trying to deal direct with Bavaria to get the situation sorted, as Clipper seem to have lost interest.  I'm not holding my breath!  But at the end of the day, there's going to be an interesting claim for loss of use.  Incidentally, it's costing someone £250 a day for the boat to be languishing untouched in a heated workshop.

So, how do I feel about the boat?  She seems fast, sails well and certainly feels safe.  I did Brixham to Brighton in about 20 hours.  The twin wheel Jefa steering is light and positive.  The Garmin autopilot is excellent - indeed the complete Garmin plotter/radar/VHF/AIS/instrument system is seamlessly integrated and works brilliantly. Coming from a centre cockpit boat (in fact, for the last 36 years I've only had centre cockpit boats), I find the aft cockpit feels a little exposed in some ways, and there seems to be a lot of boat in front of me.  For singlehanding, a centre cockpit boat is somewhat easier. 

In terms of quality, the boat is undoubtedly great value for money.  The build quality of the Cruiser 37 seems good.  I've crawled around in lots of the more hidden bits, and everything seems to be sensibly engineered and competently installed, although I suspect future maintenance or repair of some of the kit will pose problems.  My old Hallberg-Rassy was maybe a bit comfier in the saloon, but was very dark and cramped compared with the Cruiser 37.  The 37's forecabin is big and has great headroom.  Mine's a 2-cabin version, so the larger heads/shower arrangement is very good; one of the best I've seen.  The aft cabin is OK.  I'd have loved a new HR, but they're at least 3 times the price and it's difficult to see where the extra quarter of a million goes! 

So, would I recommend a new Bavaria?  No, definitely not if buying in the UK.  The dealer support is dire.  I bought from SWUK in Devon because they told me they were an independent dealer, sourcing direct from Bavaria.  Untrue - it transpires they simply buy from Clipper.  I bought from SWUK because I'd heard bad reports of Clipper's commissioning quality and SWUK boasted of superior commissioning.  Untrue - SWUK's commissioning was poor too.  Maybe buying in another country might be a better experience.  As for Bavaria themselves, well they make all the right noises, but they are very difficult to contact and seem unable to respond adequately to customers' concerns.

In simple numbers, this Cruiser 37 is the most expensive thing I've bought.  A bit more expensive than my house (but I bought that 30 years ago).  I guess there's a feeling of anticipation and excitement about getting a brand-new boat, the hours spent poring over specs and photos, deciding options, choosing colours.  And, realistically, the moment the dream turns into reality should be incredibly happy and rewarding.  Well, for me it wasn't.  Building the boat without the DuraDeck I'd specified was a big mistake (and I can't discover whose fault it was either).  Now, more than 3 months after the boat arrived in the UK, I'm still no nearer to sorting out the deck, the boat's in a shed, and I can't use it.  And the crazy thing is this: why should it be me who has to drive this process?  I'm left with a feeling of frustration and disappointment; sure, it's a nice boat and I'll have some fun with it, but the dream was smashed.

tramsol

• Swab
« Reply #2 on: September 23 2015, 23:10 »
Hi all,
sorry for resurrecting a so old post, but I'm interested on the Cruiser 37 and curious on how did it go.

@Vjs:
did you get a Cruiser 37 in the end? What are your impressions?

@tiger79:
I'm interested to know how did it go with the deck issue and after almost a year what is your current opinion of the "new" Cruiser 37.

I've also opened a new thread with some questions here if you are willing to give your opinion:
http://www.bavariayacht.info/forum/index.php/topic,1099.0.html

Thanks

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: September 24 2015, 08:45 »
I know 3 people who took delivery of a new ones this year, and all are very happy (all purchased from Clipper).

tramsol

• Swab
« Reply #4 on: September 24 2015, 14:06 »
Thanks IslandAlchemy for the feedback! :)

Impavidus

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria C 37
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #5 on: September 28 2015, 20:58 »
Hi all.
Just for your information I took delivery of our new Bavaria 37 ?Impavidus? in early March.
The boat is fast, even faster since we fitted a Brunton prop. We have in mast furling and she still points up to 30deg (apparent wind) in fact she won first in class in the CIBSE challenge with a standard prop. We have been out in F7 southerly with big seas, no problems.
We had a couple of minor niggles, but Clipper sorted them quickly and without any fuss.
We have now done over 1000 sea miles and have 170 hours on the engine. The twin wheels and drop down transom are great. The huge lazerete on the two cabin version is cavernous. Ours hols a 240 dingy, 2x 20inch folding bikes, a pressure washer, 2kva generator, and 8 large fenders as well as loads of bits and bobs on the handy built in shelves.
Would I buy another? In a heartbeat!   
Ant
Visit our YouTube channel here:  https://www.youtube.com/c/SVImpavidusAntCidSailing

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: September 28 2015, 21:46 »
Good post Ant, and thanks for not telling everyone how I couldn't overtake you in a 49 going across Weymouth bay...oops ;D

It is a quick boat though. I was surprised at its turn of speed.  :tbu

Craig

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #7 on: September 28 2015, 22:29 »
Why buy your Bavaria in Britain?????  Most Brits end up sailing to the Med in their Bavarias as mooring cost in Britain is so expensive and Bavarias do not like sitting in the Mud. You need 2 keels to sail in mud. We picked up our Bavaria in Koper, Slovenia and had the Malta agent commission the boat for us. I think it may also be cheaper for the transport as Koper is much closer to the Bavaria factory than anywhere in Britain and only requires 1 low loader to get there.

Forums are full of complaints about Clipper, most unfair in my opinion. Might be more of the whinging pom syndrome perhaps.

Only problems with our Bavaria 38 ( 2009 delivered in early 2010) in 5 years were the Lewmar autohelm ( replaced 3 times), the Raymarine radio ( replaced twice) and the original hot water tank. The autohelm and radio were replaced each time under warranty. Lewmar and Raymarine are both British and great on warranty, just hopeless in their engineering.

Centre cockpit boats are marginally better in colder climates but hopeless in the Med if you have to do a Med moor. Aft cockpit boats are much more preferable in warmer climates.

You only need to see the production line method of manufacture to see why Bavarias are built well. ( Good You Tube clips). Bavarias are the Toyotas of the sea, other manufacturers are barely reaching the Model T production methods.

Early this year, a 2002 Bavaria 44 ex charter boat purchased in Croatia in 2010, called "Karma Waters", single handedly sailed around Cape Horn on an extended trip from the Med to Australia.  Can't see how you can have many problems with a Bavaria if they can easily cope with that type of sailing.

In our 5 1/2 years in the Med we had 75kn for 3 days under anchor, 60kn under motor for 2 hours, sailed in 45kn winds numerous times for hours at a time without any problems.

Our worst problems were other boats banging into us as they tried to Med moor. Considering the number of Bavarias out there, many sailed by inexperienced people or drunks, there are few problems.

The last thing you need to worry about is the quality of the build of a Bavaria.

Craig
s/v "Shirley Valentine"

P.S. A cartoon of my naked body appears in the August edition of Yachting Monthly in their "Confessionals" section.

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #8 on: September 29 2015, 09:42 »
Just been re-reading the account of a cruise from S wales to La Coruna and back in a Bavaria 36 "November Rain" in PBO December 2011. the latter part of the return trip went through a number of deep lows with winds of over 50 knots and seas to match, particularly on the edge of the Continental Shelf. No problems with the boat except the inevitable failure of the Raymarine ST 4000 autopilot towards the end.

Great story, great boat.

SofiaB

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria Vision 46
  • Boat Year: 2016
« Reply #9 on: December 11 2015, 03:10 »
Craig,

Thanks for your post.  Just ordered a Vision 46 for sailing in the Great Lakes (Lake Erie).  There are a total of 3 Bavarias in the Great Lakes and I've been asked why I didn't buy a Benneateau.  I was impressed from first sighting and after a test sail I was sold.  Benn and Jeanneau did not impress me even though they own the production market in the US. 

Again, thanks for your post; felt assured of my decision!

Stuart
Cheers,  Stuart  (Sofia)

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #10 on: December 18 2015, 20:37 »
So, would I recommend a new Bavaria?  No, definitely not if buying in the UK.  The dealer support is dire.  I bought from SWUK in Devon because they told me they were an independent dealer, sourcing direct from Bavaria.  Untrue - it transpires they simply buy from Clipper.  I bought from SWUK because I'd heard bad reports of Clipper's commissioning quality and SWUK boasted of superior commissioning.  Untrue - SWUK's commissioning was poor too.  Maybe buying in another country might be a better experience.  As for Bavaria themselves, well they make all the right noises, but they are very difficult to contact and seem unable to respond adequately to customers' concerns.

In simple numbers, this Cruiser 37 is the most expensive thing I've bought.  A bit more expensive than my house (but I bought that 30 years ago).  I guess there's a feeling of anticipation and excitement about getting a brand-new boat, the hours spent poring over specs and photos, deciding options, choosing colours.  And, realistically, the moment the dream turns into reality should be incredibly happy and rewarding.  Well, for me it wasn't.  Building the boat without the DuraDeck I'd specified was a big mistake (and I can't discover whose fault it was either).  Now, more than 3 months after the boat arrived in the UK, I'm still no nearer to sorting out the deck, the boat's in a shed, and I can't use it.  And the crazy thing is this: why should it be me who has to drive this process?  I'm left with a feeling of frustration and disappointment; sure, it's a nice boat and I'll have some fun with it, but the dream was smashed.

Just to update.  I finally got the DuraDeck fitted in December 2014, so the boat was stranded in a shed for 3 months.  I claimed loss of use from SWUK Marine Sales Ltd (who supplied the boat), and they denied liability.  So I started proceedings to sue them.  Bearing in mind they'd lied to me, done a lousy commissioning job, taken weeks longer than they promised for commissioning, failed to order replacement DuraDeck panels as they'd promised, not replied to emails, and generally washed their hands of my boat, I had a very strong case against them.  In the meantime, they still hadn't paid me for warranty work I'd had done (because they didn't do it), so I added that to my claim.  The court case was scheduled for 29 December.  Now it seems they've magically "ceased trading".  Except they haven't - SWUK Marine Sales Ltd may have ceased trading, so I can no longer sue them, but SWUK Marine Sales continues in business.  Same premises, same website, same cowboys, just a technically different company name.  I'd strongly suggest anyone gives them a very wide berth, they are totally untrustworthy.