Author Topic: Teak seats and cockpit floor, how best to extend the woods life  (Read 3478 times)

Bavchi32

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
  • Boat Year: 2003
The seats and cockpit floor of my 2003 32 are starting to look a bit weathered (not been scrubbed) the teak grain is deepening. I am considering treating the teak to extend it's life.

I read with interest the posting re Teak Wonder, although as the teak is only about 4mm thick, if there were any cracking caused to the wood or chemical attack to the mastic, caused by the treatment it would be a major problem.

Would be great to hear from anyone who has solved this problem and got a good result.

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
Do the absolute minimum!  On my last boat, I treated the cockpit and decks about 3 times a year with Boracol, which is a wood preservative recommended by Hallberg-Rassy for use on teak decks.  It's a clear liquid, and you just apply a flood coat with a soft paintbrush, then leave it to dry.  It contains a powerful algaecide (to stop the teak going green) as well as a fungicide (to stop mould growth).  Most of the "dirt" people clean off teak isn't dirt, it's tiny spots of black mould.  Regular treatment with Boracol will let the teak go to a natural silvery grey.  If it needs an occasional wash, just use a sponge and sudsy water.

For my new Cruiser 37, I specified DuraDeck!

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
There is no treatment other than keeping it clean. Do not scrub it, just wash it and use Borocol if it gets mouldy. You can get treatments that bring some of the colour back, but it is only temporary. My boat is 2001 and has spent most of is life in the Med and the teak still looks good after it has been cleaned.

Anthony

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2001
Do not scrub, that's the fastest way to scour deep furrows into the wood and have it deteriorate sooner.
 have used a British made product, a 2 pack teak cleaner and conditioner made by Wessex Chemical Factors, just google that for details. Simply wet the timber a section at a time, then simply dilute part A and sponge on with a swirling motion to bring up any dirt, leave for a few minutes and swirl again, then liberally hose off with fresh water... the teak comes up a golden colour.  Then similarly apply diluted part B, the conditioner, leave for a few minutes and again hose off. The results are truly remarkable and removes oil and red wine stains, with no damage to the 2001 timber.

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
Whatever you do, don't use a pressure washer :(
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator