Author Topic: RayMarine new Evolution A/P anyone?  (Read 3757 times)

solar

RayMarine new Evolution A/P anyone?
« on: September 30 2014, 11:08 »
Since I'll have to install  a new A/P soon I wonder if anyone here have done that and have an opinion on the new model?
On paper,as allways ,it looks great...
I was not very happy with my old one the SPX10.Had problems making it work with my Lewmar drive.
But all my other electronics on board are RayMarine made so wouldn't like to mix.
TIA

Ziffius

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
  • Boat Year: 2005
Re: RayMarine new Evolution A/P anyone?
« Reply #1 on: September 30 2014, 18:58 »
I had a new AP fitted last year as the boat I bought didn't have one. I remember them saying something about the new Evolution AP - either it wasn't out yet or it wasn't compatible with the raymarine kit already on board. 2006 Bav 39 with a C70 and sea talk (I think). Worth double checking compatibility with what you already have.

solar

« Reply #2 on: October 01 2014, 00:05 »
Will do,thanks.

Wayne

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 37
  • Boat Year: 2007
« Reply #3 on: October 02 2014, 00:58 »
Hi, I have installed the new Evolution AP gear. Will get specifications and let you know. I have a Bavaria 37 with all Raymarine electronics.  The boat did not come with an autopilot. Can say it wasn't cheap!
Wayne

solar

« Reply #4 on: October 02 2014, 11:47 »
Thanks Wayne,
What kind of drive and ploter do you have?
Waiting for your impration about the Evolution AP.
I have the RC 435i ploter and not sure if it will work with it but I'm planing to upgrade it anyhow next season to have AIS added.

Wayne

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 37
  • Boat Year: 2007
« Reply #5 on: October 08 2014, 02:11 »
HI Solar,
I thought I posted a reply a few days ago but it doesn't look like it has appeared on the forum. I have the following Raymarine AP gear installed:
ACU-200
Evolution EV1 Sensor Core
P70 Colour A/P head:Sail
Raypilot typ 1 Lin Short Stroke 12v
ST1 to STNG Converter kit
Also had made up a steering arm attachment.

I have a Raymarine C70 plotter.

New AP gear works really well and handles the weight of the yacht easily. I would say fully laden over 8 tonnes. On another yacht I had the ST 4000+ unit but it always operated at the top of its range and regularly stripped the plastic cogs. Commissioning did present a few issues ie not reading correct headings. But once this was sorted by the technician (I did not install unit myself) all good.

Hope the above helps. By the way, you get a 2 year warranty with the equipment, but if you register online you get another year's warranty. At least you did when I registered the equipment.

Wayne

solar

« Reply #6 on: October 09 2014, 08:17 »
Many thanks Wayne.
My only concern is how it will work with my Lewmar drive.
I'll talk with the RayMarine experts again.