Author Topic: Bavaria 38 ocean nut size stanchions  (Read 3319 times)

Jam

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 ocean
  • Boat Year: 2000
Bavaria 38 ocean nut size stanchions
« on: September 25 2014, 21:42 »
Hi
Having sealed stanchions which were leaking have decided to put extra nyloc nuts on to secure this weekend problem is forgot to measure before I left the boat.  Can anyone tell me the size of the nut that screws on internally to hold stanchions in place.

Thanks
John

njsail

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Bavaria 38 ocean nut size stanchions
« Reply #1 on: September 26 2014, 12:01 »
Hi John - I am looking to reseal my stanchions as well.   Can you explain the process or post a link to it? 
Thanks,
Frank

Jam

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 ocean
  • Boat Year: 2000
Re: Bavaria 38 ocean stanchions
« Reply #2 on: September 27 2014, 20:44 »
Resealing bavaria 38 ocean stanchions....well here's how I did it...
First remove panels inside to access stanchion bolt, simply two bits of wood but made difficult in my boat as screws were not all stainless some some difficult to remove as rusty.  Once access gained unscrew nut off bolt using socket or whatever you can as access tricky for some stanchions.  Remove the stanchion and stainless trim ring and the stub from deck. This was difficult for some stanchions as on the stub there is a circular flange at base of stub at deck level and bavaria had placed the teak toe rail with holes that there not aligned well therefore flange trapped between the deck and teak toe rail...great!  Had to widen hole with dremmel which was difficult and was a less than circular once finished but got it off.( can't see it once ring back on).   You may have to tap up on threaded rod from below ( use bit on wood to on end to avoid damage) to free stub while pulling it from top using mole grips on stainless stub which you can protect with cloth...its a 2 man/wife job.
Once stub is off clean it and the hole and surrounding area outside and inside.
I used polysulphide sealant, think it was Life Caulk  and applied it into the recess to cover area the flange/stub sits on at deck level and also into the hole, I then replaced the stub and screwed up from inside, with the wife holding the stub to stop it spinning ( otherwise u won't be able to attach stanchions as threaded hole on stub will be facing the wrong way and you will not be able to secure stanchion once finished if it's facing wrong way).  I put finishing ring and stanchions back on before tightening up further , note was not fully tightened until next day.  I also filled the recess around stanchion will silicone, used low modulus, neutral cure silicone as this seems to be more sticky and elastic to allow for movement.
Note-on my boat there was an alloy plate inside to spread the load before nut was put on, this was only on the stanchions at the" gate boarding area"which the previous owner had added, I applied poly sulphide sealer to the surface of this too before nut was put on.  I've done four so far and it took me a while!!  I will do others but started and area of obvious leak!!  Gained this info after extensive internet browsing and advice from owners so confident it will work, may put nyloc nuts on too for added security.  It's a work in progress!!!
Hope this helps Frank
John

njsail

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40 Ocean
« Reply #3 on: September 29 2014, 11:45 »
Thank you for all the detailed info John.  It is another maintenance item on my list I wanted to do in the spring.   Almost time to put the boat on sticks.

xmax

• Swab
  • Boat Model: bavaria 47
« Reply #4 on: October 22 2014, 14:25 »
Hi Jam

The nuts are M12 you need 19 mm hexagon socket tool.