Author Topic: B33 ( new style) deck leak  (Read 4812 times)

GeorgeH

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria33
  • Boat Year: 2013
B33 ( new style) deck leak
« on: September 05 2014, 10:56 »
My B33 is 18 ninths old and has just developed a leak when it rains.
The water finds it way onto the shelf beside but above the chart table. Despite playing a hose on deck I cannot replicate the leak. It may be pooling somewhere out of sight before coming inside. Clipper have suggested removing the screws from the genoa track and putting sealant in each hole.
Has anyone with a new B33 or B32 had a similar experience?

Ripster

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 36 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2011
Re: B33 ( new style) deck leak
« Reply #1 on: September 05 2014, 11:26 »
These are always a pain to solve as (as you have pointed out) finding the source can be very difficult.  Genoa track could certainly be one culprit as these go right through and the bolts are silliconed when put in.  They are, as you might know/imagine, a bolt into a captive thread in the coach roof, not just a self tapper.  I had a Gen car not quite locked in and it flew down the track with such force (it was blowing a 6-7 at the time), it ripped the end stop off and was retained only by the sheet minus the track slider bars which went straight into the Sea!   Thus I had to take a track bolt out and reseal it with a new end stop.   Another possibility could be side rail stanchion - getattable via the top lockers (take off the wood panels at the back).  Hatches are another source.  On mine (late model 36) I had to change all the toe rail on the stbd bow due to some storm damage, but whilst not having any leaks prior to doing this, when we got in there, screw sealant was very minimal.  Needless to say, its now generous!

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: September 05 2014, 12:29 »
Another possibility is any fitting that goes through the side deck (such as a water filler or waste cap).

Eventually they'll all leak and need re-bedding, so you might as well start early.

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #3 on: September 05 2014, 12:59 »
Just a thought, shouldn't Clipper be fixing this under warranty?

GeorgeH

• Swab
« Reply #4 on: September 05 2014, 19:47 »
Thanks for the information. Regarding the warranty, that is the plan once I have found the source of the leak. Clipper have suggested the genoa track as a starting point. I would like to know if this is an isolated occurrence or if others have had a similar experience on this type. The replies would suggest re sealing all deck fittings in the area.

ANTREVELL

• Able Seaman
« Reply #5 on: September 05 2014, 20:47 »
I have a cruiser 33 new this year. One of the problems I experienced was water on the shelf you mention and in the navigation table wrecking all the charts.
We found the leak was coming in where the ventilation window is stuck into the main plastic window the same was happening above the cooker . In both instants it was the lower corner rear over the chart table and front lower corner over the cooker. Once found  I scraped out the external sealant between the ventilation window and the main window. Then applied a small bead of window silicone sealant which has cured the problem short term. I am waiting to hear that Bavaria will replace the windows. 
The water was running down the inside of the internal moulding.  Initially I stuck paper towels around the area to find where they got wet.
Using a torch I was able to see a very small white trace where the water had trickled in. It was only a very small leak but did an awful lot of damage

Regard Tony

GeorgeH

• Swab
« Reply #6 on: March 31 2017, 11:04 »
It has been more than 2 years since I first had the window leak problem. Clipper changed the window but the leak has returned in the same place. All deck fittings now ok and source confirmed as the replacement window. A new replacement is just about to be fitted. The temporary solution over the winter was to tape over the problem area. This was successful albeit unsightly on a new boat. Questions remain about the window bonding materials and processes.

Lazy Pelican

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #7 on: March 31 2017, 17:24 »
We have a similar problem albeit with an old B39 2006. Our hull port has leaked when the boat flex's in heavy weather & has done since we bought her (2nd hand) in 2009. I've tried removing and refitting the port but the problem remains.
Is your leak through the window itself i.e. between glass & frame, or between frame and hull?

Impavidus

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria C 37
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #8 on: March 31 2017, 17:56 »

Tiger is right this is a latent defect. Talk nicely to Richard at Clipper. I am sure they will be helpful if approached in the right way. I have had a few defects that have only appeared after a year or so. Clipper have been helpful if a little slow. Are you an RYA member?

Best regards.

Ant. 
Visit our YouTube channel here:  https://www.youtube.com/c/SVImpavidusAntCidSailing

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #9 on: April 01 2017, 00:15 »

Tiger is right this is a latent defect. Talk nicely to Richard at Clipper. I am sure they will be helpful if approached in the right way. I have had a few defects that have only appeared after a year or so. Clipper have been helpful if a little slow. Are you an RYA member?

Best regards.

Ant.

If you read the sequence of events carefully you will see that Clipper have indeed replaced the window. Albeit with one that also leaked and are about to fit a second replacement which hopefully will not leak.

BTW no signs of leaks on my 2015 B33.