Author Topic: Top up to Sealed Batteries  (Read 3016 times)

Bavnav

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
Top up to Sealed Batteries
« on: July 25 2014, 09:14 »
Hi,
Would there be a problem if one was to change from the top up type batteries to the sealed type. My domestic batteries need replacing and I have the original boat  battery charger, which is on constantly - Bavaria 30c, 2006. I may go for the Varta 140ah x2 and they are sealed. I do not want to damage the new batteries while left on charge.
Any thoughts/ideas?
Fair winds,
Bavnav

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
Re: Top up to Sealed Batteries
« Reply #1 on: July 25 2014, 16:27 »
Maintenance-free "sealed" batteries are quite resistant to over-charging.  They also have a reasonable reserve of electrolyte.  It's likely that they'll degrade in performance and need replacing before they run out of electrolyte.

On my last boat, I used maintenance-free batteries which tended to give about 8 years' service before replacement. 

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #2 on: July 25 2014, 17:51 »
Hi BavNav

I replaced mine with 2 x Varta 140aH last December and they seem to be pretty good - run cool and no problems with charging on shore-power (rarely) and engine (not often enough, sadly). Admittedly, I can't comment on longevity yet but I'm happy with them so far. Needless to say, I get quite twitchy at the possibility of 'over-cooking' if they're left on charge all the time so I only use Sh/Pwr if I need 240v and so they only get topped up whilst I'm plugged in. Different matter if you live aboard, of course.

ATB

Mark "Figaro" B34
ATB

Mark

Bavnav

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #3 on: July 27 2014, 21:25 »
Many thanks for the replies. I will probably go for the Varta 140ah x 2 and not leave the charger on continuously.
Fair winds,
Bavnav.