Author Topic: Interior lights failing  (Read 7430 times)

Stuart

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria Cruiser 42
  • Boat Year: 2005
Interior lights failing
« on: January 03 2012, 03:02 »
Hi All

Great site here.
Hope to be able to help when I can but right now I have a question. :)

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this. We have a 2005 Bavaria 42 Cruiser "in Overdraught" and 3 of the fluorescent lights have had their circuit boards burn out actually smoulder and scorch the headliner. Anyone else experience this? Any reason why this may happen as the broker couldn't help.

Cheers

Stuart
Cheers

Stuart

Hunros

• Swab
  • Boat Model: 34 Sport
  • Boat Year: 2012
Re: Interior lights failing
« Reply #1 on: January 04 2012, 20:29 »
We have just sold our 2005 42 Cruiser but certainly didn't have any problems with the lights. 

Do you think this is happening because of an over-current - possibly while on shore-power with the battery charger on or from an over-charging alternator when the enginbe is running?

I am guessing you have no other problems as you haven't spoken about them so incorrectly wired house batteries giving 24 volts is unlikely.

Worth checking your charging currents both from the battery charger and the alternator.

Just an idea, hope it helps.

Stuart

• Able Seaman
« Reply #2 on: January 04 2012, 23:38 »
Hi  Hunros

Thanks for the reply. No problem overcharging , Three different sources indicating battery voltage. Max I've ever seen is 14.7 V and when this last one went I believe it was around 13.2 V. Fuse didn't blow inside the fixture but fried the board and scorched the headliner.

I'm thinking off getting rid of the rest and replacing with LED , like I changed all the overhead G4 bulbs with.

Cheers

Stuart
Cheers

Stuart

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #3 on: January 05 2012, 19:03 »
3 of the fluorescent lights have had their circuit boards burn out ...

Are they Rensch lights, with the circuit board like the attached? I've had a couple of these fail, and it has always been down to sea water.
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

Stuart

• Able Seaman
« Reply #4 on: January 06 2012, 00:07 »
Hi Nigel

Yes it looks like the same light,galley,(nav station and aft head was where we had failures.) We are sailing in salt water maybe some sort of spray to seal the board may be in order.

Cheers

Stuart
Cheers

Stuart

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
« Reply #5 on: January 07 2012, 13:32 »
Yes it looks like the same light...

If it is the large capacitor that has been burned out, I've got a few spares. I've also got some PCB laquer which helps. If you want to send me the boards, I'll see if I can salvage any of them. PM me for my address.

Stuart

• Able Seaman
« Reply #6 on: January 07 2012, 16:33 »
Hi Nigel

Thanks for the offer but we're on the other side of the pond :(   (East Coast United States/Bahamas)
By the way thanks for setting up this site.

Cheers

Stuart

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
    • www.scanmar-odysseus.co.uk
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #7 on: January 08 2012, 10:41 »
Nigel, I have  the heads light starting to go off after a short time, I have stripped the PCB out and viewed under a x6 lens for stress but cannot see anything, are you indicating the large capacitor is an issue? And I too put conformal coating on the board as it?s in the shower area.

Thanks
Odysseus
Odysseus

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
« Reply #8 on: February 12 2012, 10:34 »
Nigel, I have  the heads light starting to go off after a short time, I have stripped the PCB out and viewed under a x6 lens for stress but cannot see anything, are you indicating the large capacitor is an issue? And I too put conformal coating on the board as it?s in the shower area.
Sorry I didn't get back to you. The capacitor in the Rensch 505 lights is the big rectangular one, marked:
WIMA
FKP 3
1500/630-

This decodes as WIMA FKP-3 1500pF/10%/630VDC/4x9.5x13 PCM10, the datasheet is here.

The other main point of failure is the switch. These can also be replaced, then filled with ContraLube 770.

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
« Reply #9 on: July 12 2015, 16:30 »

joakey

• Swab
  • Boat Model: 46'
  • Boat Year: 2007
« Reply #10 on: July 30 2015, 03:48 »
I hadn't really had any burn ups but on my 2007 Bav46 I've replaced everything with LEDs lights including Nav and battery load is so much better.  Makes it easier to leave the 2 fridges running all the time.