Author Topic: ATN sock  (Read 6461 times)

Vinnie45

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 30 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2007
ATN sock
« on: July 10 2014, 17:08 »
I just purchased a sock and I thought the block for the whisker pole was for the sock. Is there a block in the mast on a 30 Bavaria to hoist the sail or do I need to add a block near jib line

Vinnie45

• First Mate
Re: ATN sock
« Reply #1 on: July 10 2014, 17:28 »
Does it have sheave for the sail

Stuart

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria Cruiser 42
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #2 on: July 11 2014, 00:50 »
Hi Vinnie we had to add another halyard to be able to fly our spinnaker. I think that it was you're asking  :D.
Cheers

Stuart

Vinnie45

• First Mate
« Reply #3 on: July 11 2014, 02:27 »
Where did you add it?

Stuart

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria Cruiser 42
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #4 on: July 11 2014, 22:57 »
Hi Vinnie I went to the top of the mast and sent a fish line down, attached the halyard to the fish line and pulled it out at the base of the mast marked spinnaker.
Cheers

Stuart

Vinnie45

• First Mate
« Reply #5 on: July 12 2014, 16:18 »
Thank you

Vinnie45

• First Mate
« Reply #6 on: July 26 2014, 01:56 »
I hired someone to go up the mast , we have a fractional mast so they only to go 30 ft. Of course while sailing the new sail I tied the knot wrong and it blew off the mast I needed to hire a person again to go up mast to fix before my wife mutinied

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #7 on: April 16 2015, 16:37 »
Hi Vinnie,

I've just bought a sock from SeaTeach which may not be quite the same as as your ATN sock, but my sock is hoisted using the same halyard as the one used for hoisting the spinnaker/cruising chute. The sock has a stainless "O" ring fitted at the top to which the halyard attaches, and from that the sock manufacturer has provided a short length of line that is used to secure the head of the sail. As you hoist the top of the sock with the head of the sail also attached you hang on to the bell mouth bottom end of the sock until the sail has all but disappeared inside. The sock has an endless halyard attached within it that runs through the "O" ring at the top while at the bottom it is secured to the belmouth end and has some line to spare. Once the sail has been hoisted, the tack secured and the sheets run out around the forestay and back to the cockpit you then use that endless halyard to hoist the sock to the top of the sail. The bottom of the endless halyard needs to be made fast to the mast while the sock stays up at the head of the sail until you are fed up playing when you release the tack. Then with the same endless halyard you pull the sock back down to envelope the sail and finally head home for dinner.

my dianne

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 31
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #8 on: May 31 2015, 23:51 »
Hi Vinnie
I have a 2000 B30 with new gennaker and ATN sock - works exactly the same as Salty described the Seatech arrangement. The boat came with a block up the Selden  mast  for the spinnaker halyard - a few inches above the one for the foresail halyard. Stowing the slack of the endless halyard at foot of mast required fitting a horn cleat. Finding an attachment point for the gennaker tack was a pain. Had to make up a strop attached to bow chainplate and use lashings to position the attachment eye.

Salty

• Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: June 04 2015, 07:42 »
Ref the point made by My dianne about attaching the tack, I had already invested in an ATN Tacker so that the tack of the sail attaches to the Tacker which slides over your furled Jib/Genoa sail and where its height above the deck is controlled by a short length of rope either through a deck mounted turning block and with the tail of the rope secured to one of the foredeck cleats. It's very easy to use and I don't need loads of bodies on deck to handle the system, where usually it's just me onboard and no one else other than the autopilot. The sock is then the icing on the cake to make dousing the sail easier.

Ripster

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 36 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2011
« Reply #10 on: June 04 2015, 19:36 »
Ref the point made by My dianne about attaching the tack, I had already invested in an ATN Tacker so that the tack of the sail attaches to the Tacker which slides over your furled Jib/Genoa sail and where its height above the deck is controlled by a short length of rope either through a deck mounted turning block and with the tail of the rope secured to one of the foredeck cleats. It's very easy to use and I don't need loads of bodies on deck to handle the system, where usually it's just me onboard and no one else other than the autopilot. The sock is then the icing on the cake to make dousing the sail easier.

I also use a tacker for my assymetric.  I investigated having a bowsprit, then a mod to the anchor roller, but this involved much expense compared to the tacker which works a treat.  Salty - do you sheet in and blow the tack then snuff the shoot with the sock or just ease the sheet then lower the sock?

Salty

• Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: June 04 2015, 21:54 »
I turn the boat to get the spinnaker into the lee of the main sail, and loosen the sheet as the boat turns. Then when the spinnaker has lost the weight in it I release the tack and start lowering the bellmouth bottom end of the sock. As soon as the bottom of the sock has reached the end of its travel the sail with the sock around it gets lowered and stuffed back inside the sail bag with the sheets going in last that they are ready to be put in place first when the sail is next used. Basically the same way that ATN show in their uTube video.
http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9mSs2optXBVpk4AekyA3YlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTByMm4zYjFxBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDNQRjb2xvA2lyMgR2dGlkAw--/RV=2/RE=1433478570/RO=10/RU=http%3a%2f%2fwww.youtube.com%2fwatch%3fv%3dZt_G0uVc5iY/RK=0/RS=DLNngUXsraOdX0jPrtrPDNZpc1Y-

Mirror45184

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 40
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #12 on: June 06 2015, 14:11 »
For the asymmetric spinnaker I use a top down furler from Wichard. It is a magic piece of gear. Clip on the tack, halyard and sheets; run out the continuous furling line. Hoist a long furled sausage tension the furler cable, and pull on the sheet. When finished or it gets too windy, unfurl the jib and ease the spinnaker sheet and pull on the furling line to roll it up. Resulting in a long furled sausage. Lower the halyard and pull the windward spinnaker sheet so the whole lot drops inside the jib. Job done, without going forward of the mast!
Cheers
Mark
SV Synergy
2009 B40
Mark Hutton
SV SYnergy
B40 Cruiser 2009