Author Topic: Saildrive plug removal.  (Read 2906 times)

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
Saildrive plug removal.
« on: June 29 2014, 11:16 »
Hi All,
I'm having a problem to remove the plug at the bottom of my 120s saildrive leg to facilitate oil changes. An ordinary screwdriver tends to be too small, and fashioning a piece of steel to fit the slot tends to make the steel a bit soft such that it bends or slips out before I can loosen the plug. Does anyone know of a suitable tool that can be used. I have got an impact driver which I'm sure would do the job, but I hesitate to use it incase I end up needing to buy a new saildrive after using it. For the last two years I've resorted to sucking the oil out using a thin tube through the dipstick hole, but I'm afraid that something important might get missed.
Has anyone got any helpful thoughts on the matter? 

MIA

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: Saildrive plug removal.
« Reply #1 on: June 29 2014, 12:44 »
If you can manage to get a good quality screw driver with a hex fitting on the shaft below the handle, push the screw driver into the slot with a good bit of pressure and turn the screw driver with a shifter or right sized spanner. If you have any anti-foul over the plug clean it away first.

Remember lefty loosy and righty tighty as an old mechie would say  ;)

Stevie

Moodymike

• Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: June 29 2014, 16:55 »
I put the the largest screwdriver bit from my impact screwdriver into a socket head ratchet wrench which gave plenty leverage to turn the screw

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #3 on: June 29 2014, 22:56 »
Thanks MIA and Moodymike for your suggested methods, I like the idea of putting the impact driver bit into a ratchet spanner as the ratchet has a big enough end on it to enable me to put some pressure on while turning, and the impact driver bit is bigger and more meaty than an ordinary screwdriver.
I will also get a new plug for the saildrive as the screwdriver slot in the existing plug I reckon must be a bit worn by now.
Thanks again guys. 

Graysailing

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34 exclusive
  • Boat Year: 1999
« Reply #4 on: July 01 2014, 09:11 »
Hi
I had the same problem on my Bavaria 38 in the end, when I came to change the Sail Drive rubber I undid the bolts holding the shaft and just pulled it out slowly and let the oil go into a bucket,