Author Topic: Noisy mast and spars joints  (Read 3165 times)

aquapore

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: bavaria 41
  • Boat Year: 2003
Noisy mast and spars joints
« on: June 13 2014, 22:41 »
Hi fellow Bav owners.

I have purchased as 2003 Bav 41.

It has a persistent grinding noise apparently coming from the boom goose-neck and/or the vang to mast connection.

I have tried the usual spray on lubricants with very temporary response (hours). It quietens down in the rain.

Can anyone assist

Thanks

Aquapore

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
Re: Noisy mast and spars joints
« Reply #1 on: June 16 2014, 06:38 »
Hi Aquapore,

Although I didn't notice any noise from that area on my Bav 36 from 2002, I suggest you unship the boom from the swivel and take a close look both at the gooseneck swivel and to where it attaches to the forward end of the boom. I found considerable wear on both components, but particularly on the gooseneck swivel such that I decided to renew the swivel. A tell tale sign to look for is a grayish stain on the cabin top just below the swivel where dust from the wearing aluminium falls onto the cabin roof. I can't remember what I paid for a new swivel, it wasn't desperately expensive, and it was easy to fit. The wear on the boom where the swivel attaches was less dramatic so I did nothing with that (it looked like it would have been expensive to renew !!). Anyway, I now keep an eye on both parts. The question that remains is why did the wear occur in the first place, and from what I can remember it appeared that while the boom could swing easily from side to side, the wear on the swivel suggested that it did not move so easily. The new swivel appeared better made than the original, and may have been of somewhat stronger material, though that may just have been because it was new and not worn. My Bav 36 is an ex charter boat, and had seen an awful lot of use, in its life, and often by persons who were not too bothered about taking care of it, so I would not really expect to see this sort of problem on an entirely privately owned and operated boat.

aquapore

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: bavaria 41
« Reply #2 on: June 17 2014, 10:05 »
Thanks Salty for your detailed response.

According to the broker, Honest John,  my boat has had very little use. Unfortunatly I was not able to meet the previous owner as the purchase was part of a deceased estate.

However there are many things that have come to light that may be the result of wear.

Anyway I have last weekend squirted a good amount of a solution of automatic transmission fluid ATF (40%) in mineral trups which has for the moment quietened it down. I will do as you suggest and disassemble and inspect.

I saw the recommendation of ATF on this forum.

Regards

Aquapore

singlefish

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 38
« Reply #3 on: June 26 2014, 12:14 »
best to find out rather than keep lubricating .

I was doing  an overnight race in a half tonner , there was a squeak from maststep , so my job was to give it a squish with washing up liquid every couple of hours , the squeak totherwise was maddening .

next day in dim light of day we inspected mast foot (deck stepped mast ) and found only 1 bolt of 6 actually made it through to plate inside and squeak was from mast swivelling !!. quiet a sobering thought as we had just sailed through tidal race at Bardsey Sound at its worst

not saying your squeak could be as drastic , but worth finding out , before a perhaps failure .