Author Topic: Bavaria 42 engine options  (Read 3447 times)

ron55

• Swab
Bavaria 42 engine options
« on: June 06 2014, 07:47 »
We are currently looking at several Bav 42's 2006 - 2008 models.

Most have the 55HP Volvo but one has a 40HP Volvo.

My questions are would, the 40HP engine be underpowered and what would be the difference in the cruising under power speeds?

Cheers, Ron

Ripster

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 36 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2011
Re: Bavaria 42 engine options
« Reply #1 on: June 06 2014, 15:44 »
When we were looking (for 36-40ftr ) a few years back, most of the boats with the smaller engines tended to be (not always of course) from the Med.  Our 36 has a 29hp (which is the biggest option) std is 19! and we still struggle against a strong spring tide sometimes.  If I was buying again certainly for use in the UK I would certainly go for the biggest engine option.

Stuart

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria Cruiser 42
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #2 on: June 06 2014, 22:30 »
Hi
 We have a Bavaria 42 with the 55 hp Volvo.
We have had to motor into 30 knot winds and some ripping currents, never regretted having that extra power  :tbu.
Cheers

Stuart

njsail

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #3 on: June 07 2014, 01:32 »
We have a Bavaria 40 Ocean CC with a 50hp Volvo w/ saildrive and have powered into some nasty winds, chop, etc...and never felt underpowered.  Pushed like a champ - I also feel our kiwi prop added to the engines ability to push through those conditions.  We ownen another boat prior that I felt was underpowered and you know it when you need it most.  It is not a good feeling.  Luckily with our Bav 50hp I never had that feeling even once.  If you can get an extra 10hp go for it.  It might make a difference at the times you might not be thinking of right now.

ITIL MAN

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 42 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2007
« Reply #4 on: June 09 2014, 15:28 »
We have a 2007 Bav 42 cruiser with Volvo 55.  Pleased with performance and operating within Bristol channel tides have never been disappointed.  Recent Volvo folding prop fitted and that has increased our performance under power.  have achieved over 8kts under power in still water and verified with GPS.  Plenty of boats out there and if the 55HP was the larger engine option and most owners went for that option instead of reducing initial costs then perhaps there is a reason they did that.

Alec

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2008
« Reply #5 on: June 10 2014, 08:04 »
Hi Ron,
I have a 40' cruiser though based in the med with a 40HP and have had no problems at all though as some people have mentioned with the tide/wind in the UK bigger would be better. if your going to be based in the med should not be a problem, we use around 2.1 lph at about 5 knots and if you are looking for a 40' let me know as we are considering putting ours on the market as returning back to Australia. (It is based in Turkey) happy hunting.