Author Topic: Adding a Rope Clutch in the Cockpit  (Read 3541 times)

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
Adding a Rope Clutch in the Cockpit
« on: May 20 2014, 07:40 »
I want to add a new rope clutch to the existing 4 units (1 x triple and 1 single) on the starboard side in the cockpit of my B37. I loosened the headlining under their location to find there was only a shiny inner skin above it. The clutches have threaded screws holding them down but how are these fixed to the outer skin? ???

geoff

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: 40 ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Adding a Rope Clutch in the Cockpit
« Reply #1 on: May 20 2014, 08:32 »
In my 40oc the clutches are mounted over an alloy plate embedded  in the cabin roof lay up, the mounting bolts are then threaded into the plate. Bavaria seem to have made the plate wide enough for additions. Geoff

dawntreader

• Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: May 20 2014, 10:09 »
Thanks for the update Geoff. I will test-drill to see if the plate extends to the side of the clutches on my B37 too. If not, I may have to cut two holes in the inner skin (behind the headlining) and use a plate and Rivnuts/Nutserts to secure in place from the underside. Once the lining is put back the holes will not be seen ;-)
Regards, Jim

Anthony

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #3 on: June 02 2014, 06:36 »
I have had a problem with these embedded plates; quite simply, the plates are made of aluminium and the phillips head fixing screws are made from stainless steel, disaster if moisture gets in! I strongly advise using an anti-reaction gel when fitting  bolts or screws into these embedded plates.

dawntreader

• Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: July 01 2014, 12:22 »
I have now (successfully) fitted the additional clutch.

I drilled down through the outer and inner skins after loosening the cabin roof lining. The aluminium plate did extend far enough to site the clutch but I decided it too difficult to accurately cut a thread in it. Instead I used nutserts and long bolts which I was able to position in the inner skin (above the cabin roof lining). The nutserts are drawn up into the drilled holes and become 'permanent' fixings allowing routine maintenance without having to touch the roof lining again.

With the roof lining replaced, the nutserts are out of sight. The holes are silicon sealed.

Thanks for your comments.