Author Topic: Bav 39 steering  (Read 4230 times)

Ziffius

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
  • Boat Year: 2005
Bav 39 steering
« on: April 23 2014, 18:33 »
Anyone with the non standard Bav 39 steering from circa 2006 experiencing playe at the wheel in the for/aft direction, almost like the wheel isn't fitted tightly?

Steering has the short shaft from the wheel to a horizontal quadrant under the binnacle compass. When I looked in mine the top of the mounting block that the wheel shaft goes through to engage with the rack on the quadrant is either fractured on both sides where the binacle flange is attached or is supposed to be like that?? As you lean forward/ back on the top of the wheel the top of the mounting block moves slightly causing the play in the wheel.

If anyone has seen this on theirs I would appreciate the info on whether it is a fracture or normal. I will try and get some photos attached and also ask Bavaria.

Ziffius

• Old Salt
Re: Bav 39 steering
« Reply #1 on: April 25 2014, 08:53 »
Took some close ups and to me it looks like fractures both sides; however, apart from the play in the steering it seems to be secure.

Spirit of Mary

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #2 on: April 25 2014, 23:19 »
I don't know the design. However what the photo's show are clearly fractures just at the weak spots where bolts (or something else)  going through. This is not manufactured like this and needs more analysis for the cause and of course repair.
regards,

Ger.

Ziffius

• Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: July 25 2014, 19:24 »
Decided to do an epoxy repair the the steering, once the wheel was off and the front washer removed I could just see that the bottom screw bolt of the 4 bolts that hold the steering shaft to the whole assembly mount was loose. Coupled with the housing being fractured at the middle screws on both sides meant I had play in it fro and aft and left and right. Just managed to get Allen key on the bolt to tighten it which cured stopped the play in the steering. However the fractures were still there. The right bolt I could not access without taking the whole pedestal apart.

I took the top part of the housing off, cleaned everything up prepping for epoxy. I then epoxied a horse shoe strap of aluminium over the whole mount and added a couple of aluminium angle pieces over where the fractures were. It all seems to be holding nicely.

I wonder if the reason the fractures occurred was because the bottom bolt was loose allowing that bit of play such when I hit a rock going backwards there was enough play to cause the fractures. :sick :sick

battuta

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria Cruiser 31
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #4 on: July 26 2014, 06:56 »
Wow...nice fix!

Riyad
s/v Battuta (2009 Bavaria 31)
Vancouver, Canada

Ziffius

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: July 27 2014, 07:47 »
Thx, hope it lasts. Of interest is the aluminium band was made from a twisted length of aluminium I found whilst snorkelling off Corfu - I was looking for suitable bits of Ali after I had discovered the break, couldn't believe I found the perfect piece. There are lots of metal scraps in the waters off beaches here!