Author Topic: Selden Boom  (Read 3637 times)

GeoirgeJJ

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
  • Boat Year: 2003
Selden Boom
« on: April 01 2014, 18:48 »
We were fitting our newly cleaned sails and inadvertently let go the  No 1 reefing at the leech and woops, it disappeared. We have removed the end attachments and even managed to get a messenger line through the boom but cannot get to the car to bring it out to re-thread the line. Any ideas of a way to achieve this?

paulemeier1

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 37.2 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: Selden Boom
« Reply #1 on: April 02 2014, 07:27 »
I Have just made similar thinks, I have changed the lines and just a moment I dont pay attention and the rope car turned some Times. The only possibillity for me was to remove the rope complete and put it in again.
I have an explanation chart from selden, maybe it help you, sent me an PM with your Mail addressee and I will sent it to you.
But your problem is another one. I will do the following. Take an electrical  wire guard and put it from the front of the boom through the hole. put it in till you can reach the end at the end of the boom. Fit the reef line and pull it back. I think is no problem and don in 5 minutes.

you can see it here, but you can get it in germany in every shop for workers, maybe is the same near to you.

http://www.google.de/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=Kabel-Einziehspirale&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&gfe_rd=cr&ei=g607U8C6AcaF8QfE3YEQ

hope it help you, sorry for my bad english

GeoirgeJJ

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #2 on: April 02 2014, 08:44 »
Many thanks for your info Paulemeier1. Is it possible to scan the selden info chart and e mail it to me?

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #3 on: April 02 2014, 09:20 »
Hi Geoirge,

Using the messenger that you have already fed through, attach a bundle of rag to the messenger at one end of the boom and try pulling that gently through. Hopefully it will snag against the car and pull it to the end of the boom. Take care when the car arrives at the aft end of the boom to ensure that the four little nylon wheels fitted to the car, but which are not actually secured to the car, do not drop out and bounce over side. They are not desperately expensive, but I bet you haven't got any spares onboard to replace the ones you might loose. If the rag does not snag against the car, you could fashion a small hook out of an old wire coat hanger, and attach it to a long thin bamboo cane or thin metal rod which can then be poked down the length of the boom and turned to engage with the car. Good luck !!

paulemeier1

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 37.2 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #4 on: April 03 2014, 06:32 »
Hi,

I sent you a mail.
regards