Author Topic: Removing a saildrive  (Read 6876 times)

Vinnie45

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 30 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2007
Removing a saildrive
« on: March 25 2014, 18:36 »
I need to have work done on my saildrive and thought I would replace oring . The issue I have is that the saildrive itself is too big to go through the hole on bottom of boat . Repairmen suggested to cut the hole bigger or else remove engine etc. Because Bavaria added saildrive first then built the boat on top of it . Has anyone removed their saildrives ?

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
    • www.scanmar-odysseus.co.uk
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: Removing a saildrive
« Reply #1 on: March 25 2014, 18:58 »
There is a company on the Solent that do this job, people on the site have used then, serch for saildrive replacement, they are called  Swain Marine, no conection to me. Google them.
Odysseus
Odysseus

Vinnie45

• First Mate
« Reply #2 on: March 25 2014, 19:26 »
I am in USA but thanks I will google them

geoff

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: 40 ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #3 on: March 25 2014, 20:55 »
On my b40 ocean the saildrive came out via the inside after removing the prop and prop shaft housing Geoff

cbsura

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #4 on: March 26 2014, 02:33 »
McDonnell Marine in Bloomfield CT is a full line Volvo Penta dealer. They have experience replacing the seal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Symphony

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #5 on: March 26 2014, 09:55 »
I need to have work done on my saildrive and thought I would replace oring . The issue I have is that the saildrive itself is too big to go through the hole on bottom of boat . Repairmen suggested to cut the hole bigger or else remove engine etc. Because Bavaria added saildrive first then built the boat on top of it . Has anyone removed their saildrives ?

Easy to remove. The engine needs to be disconnected and moved forward first. The bottom of the saildrive housing that holds the seals and the shaft removed. Then the saildrive comes out through the top. Speak to a Volvo dealer. Typically a fitter who knows what he is doing will take around 8-10 hours. Easier with 2 fitters and can be done easily in a working day.

njsail

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40 Ocean
« Reply #6 on: March 27 2014, 02:16 »
The saildrive has to come out from inside not through the bottom.  In our B40 Ocean CC the engine needed to be pulled forward and then the saildrive removed.   If you are going to remove the sail leg anyway definitely replace the O ring.  It was a pretty big job but a good feeling after it's done. good luck and keep us posted.

CRYSTAL

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: B33C
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #7 on: March 27 2014, 06:21 »
Chech this link on utube Vervangen manchet saildrive Volvo Penta D2-55 / M?: http://youtu.be/cxqHqOwC78c

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Hratch
CRYSTAL I

Ricd

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 34
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #8 on: April 01 2014, 10:25 »
Just had my rubber gasket replaced last week.  Sail drive came out via back cabin once prop removed.  Engine was decoupled from gearbox and moved forward a couple of inches. 
Engineer who did the job said he had done another Bav 3 weeks ago where the aft cabin construction impeded the removal of the drive leg.  He had to decouple the gearbox from the leg, leaving the leg in place, replace gasket and then recouple gear box to leg.  There are a number of hex screws that needed to be undone from outside through the opening under the external rubber flap (they are inside the opening under the flap) to decouple gearbox from leg...very fiddly. 

Vinnie45

• First Mate
« Reply #9 on: April 05 2014, 17:31 »
The sail drive was removed in 2 hours  was delivered to diesel person to work on. Metal shavings were found inside the shaft . Volvo has lowered the price on the seal kit to $200 us from $300 . Thanks for the help and video that I showed to the boat yard folks .

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
« Reply #10 on: April 06 2014, 11:52 »
The sail drive was removed in 2 hours  was delivered to diesel person to work on. Metal shavings were found inside the shaft . Volvo has lowered the price on the seal kit to $200 us from $300 . Thanks for the help and video that I showed to the boat yard folks .

That price reduction is encouraging!!!!!! Anyone know if it's being reduced the UK/Europe. Let's face it, there's less transport cost....

M
ATB

Mark

Trundletruc

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #11 on: April 07 2014, 19:18 »
Have done the seal replacement job. I would advise that because the prop shaft assembly has to be removed to get the saildrive out, that you replace the prop shaft oil/water seals AND put on new O rings that fit between the bearing housing and the main body of the sail drive. I have known of these seals not sealing properly again once removed and letting water get into the oil.