Author Topic: Sprayhood Mod.  (Read 4307 times)

landes_h

• Able Seaman
  • Blue sky sailor
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
Sprayhood Mod.
« on: February 25 2014, 12:43 »
The canvas on my Sprayhood and Bimini are ready for replacement, it's raining through and the windows are blind. (Bav. 38/2003)
I am debating whether to raise the frame of the Sprayhood because I don't like to have to duck down everytime I'm going down to the cabin, especially when carrying my heavy beer supply downstairs  :)).
Has anyone made modifications to the Sprayhood? I might leave the aft arch as is, but extend the forward arch by maybe 5 to 10 centimeter so it will reach more forward, giving more head room.
If I raise the entire spray hood frame it would obstruct the view forward while standing, unless it is so high that I can look through the (new and clear) windows.
Looking forward to your comments.
Greetings
Horst
Bavaria 38 / 2003 berth Portoroz, Slowenia

Viking

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: 50 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2009
Re: Sprayhood Mod.
« Reply #1 on: February 26 2014, 06:44 »
Could you post a photo of your current sprayhood?

landes_h

• Able Seaman
  • Blue sky sailor
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #2 on: February 26 2014, 17:29 »
Here are some pics.
Greetings
Horst
Bavaria 38 / 2003 berth Portoroz, Slowenia

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #3 on: March 02 2014, 10:06 »
A word of caution on raising the height of your sprayhood - make sure it and the open sail-bag are well clear of the boom when under sail. Sailing mine close to the wind for a protracted period allowed the weighted open sail-bag edges to wear away the sprayhood on the forward canopy support  :'(

Viking

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: 50 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #4 on: March 06 2014, 17:57 »
It does not look like you have a lot of slope on the 'roof' part of your sprayhood? I would be careful not to have a completely flat 'roof' to avoid water flowing over the rear edge and into the cockpit .
It might be better/cheaper to go for a completely new sprayhood.
I can recommend having a look at the ones from Kapell Annat. Mine is very good and with a very tight fit.