Author Topic: change belts from v to flat VP TMD22  (Read 3193 times)

blue-max

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: ocean 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
change belts from v to flat VP TMD22
« on: February 02 2014, 15:38 »
I can't seem to  be able to  tighten the belt on my engine for any length of time. I wonder if anyone has converted a similiar engine to  a flat belt. This would involve changing crankshaft  and water pump pullies. How wa this done and where were the parts obtained. I would also like to fit a second alternator on its own belt but stumped concering location of second alternator bracket.

nornie lees

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 30 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2007
Re: change belts from v to flat VP TMD22
« Reply #1 on: February 03 2014, 14:32 »
im confused by this, you saying the belt stretches or the adjuster tightening bolt works loose?if the bolt works loose try using  serrated type washers,or are the belts you using not compatible to the pulley wheels? I have owned 3 Bavarias of different age and size, not heard this one before.   

blue-max

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: ocean 47
« Reply #2 on: February 03 2014, 19:40 »
It may have been bodged  and I could do  as you say but I had a similar problem with another engine and I got fed up with repeatedly tightening the belt so  I switched to a flat belt which was never a problem again. I had an earlier version of an engine fitted with a v belt but later ones were made with flat belts so I could source the parts. Not sure I can do  this with the TMD

Bertybuoy

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 42 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2007
« Reply #3 on: February 16 2014, 14:03 »
It sounds like an expensive solution to change both pulleys to a poly-vee belt configuration... if the tensioner is not proving to be effective, it may be because the belt is old and may have stretched a little, exceeding the limit of the adjuster... if that is not the case, then replacing the locking washers associated with the adjuster bold is a must.  I have seen the brackets so badly 'mashed' that even new locking washers are not effective - if this is the case, then replace the adjusting arm too... still much cheaper than new pulleys!

regards,

Bertybuoy

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
« Reply #4 on: February 18 2014, 02:04 »
I'm currently designing a custom turnbuckle for my alternator, using go-cart track rod ends. I hope to have some pictures soon.
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator