Author Topic: Hardtop in place of bimini  (Read 4874 times)

blue-max

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: ocean 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
Hardtop in place of bimini
« on: December 22 2013, 11:39 »
Just wondering if anyone has replaced their bimini - which  always seems to be kept up - with a solid hardtop  - something like on a cat. Seems worthwhile as could also be used for mounting solar panels with the possibility of roll down canvas sides. There is at least one Bav out there with one

landes_h

• Able Seaman
  • Blue sky sailor
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
Re: Hardtop in place of bimini
« Reply #1 on: December 24 2013, 08:29 »
This idea occupies my mind sometimes, also discussed with a friend. We are on the search for appropriate material. There is a PE board material which is light in weight and can be cut with carpet knife. Unfortunately the temperature range is not suitable for Europe. At -5°C it breaks like glass.
The roof what cats have is very heavy because its GRP and maybe foam inside. I want to keep the metal frame and just look for a formable material to replace the canvas. No need to walk on the roof.
Keep looking and fill the thread here.
Greetings
Horst
Bavaria 38 / 2003 berth Portoroz, Slowenia

nornie lees

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 30 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2007
« Reply #2 on: December 24 2013, 13:53 »
Hi Chaps, i just checked on internet and there lots of companies that sell fibre glass sheets, to 3m x 2.420m  in various colours UK based. Thickness varies as does patterns, plain seems the one you may wish to purchase. You should be able to flex it quite a bit, even the 6mm sheets, and ideal for fitting semi flex solar panels on.

Or you can do what i did and buy a child's garden sun screen with flex poles, about £11.oo and works well even sailing in light breeze. Can be erected in 5mins .

good luck

Ray

merry xmas.

blue-max

• Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: December 25 2013, 10:38 »
Have you got any names of firms or links to  the fiberglass sheet? Ideally carbonfibre would be the material of choice - perhaps in white not black but the price........   

landes_h

• Able Seaman
  • Blue sky sailor
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #4 on: December 25 2013, 14:17 »
I think I found the right material, brand name is "Curv", see under ---> http://www.curvonline.com/.
It seems easy to cut, and is formable with hot air +++
I will try to obtain samples and experiment, whenever time permits.
I found an on-line store in Germany (can also choose English language) --> http://www.modulor.de/shop/oxid.php/sid/e04d1b0d20109e61fb9116baea489a4d/cl/details/anid/AAKI

So you may look out for one in UK-land  :))

I think GRP is to heavy on this wobbly Bimini frame of my Bav. 38. We also need to make some kind of a window in it so one can look up to the mast top.
Greetings
Horst
Bavaria 38 / 2003 berth Portoroz, Slowenia

blue-max

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: December 28 2013, 18:03 »
interesting. I would like to  get hold of this stuff and see how useable it is. As panel sheets are small in size there would be the need to  join sheets together - looks like that would be by using aluminium flats riverted together at top and uderside. I've had thoughts about using an aluminium sandwich  panel as used by construction industry for building cladding.