Author Topic: Elecric tripping pontoon RCD.  (Read 2646 times)

Bavnav

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
Elecric tripping pontoon RCD.
« on: November 24 2013, 19:09 »
Hi
Spent all weekend looking for a fault on the 240v. mains into boat (Bavaria 30). I think it is the mains input socket by the cockpit. With mains on the pontoon circuit switches off  - circuit breaker. Mains connected to pontoon socket ok - no trip. Connect mains lead connector to boat mains input socket - trip. Even though mains push fit connector in cockpit locker (under mains input socket)disconnected and no mains into boat. I took the socket apart, condensation apparent and earth contacts slightly corroded. There seemed to be at times no earth connection to outside of socket (stainless steel) via the tiny clip - wiggle the large earth pin whilst reading earth resistance to clip, it appears to make then break. At £85 for a new socket I want to be 100 per cent sure it is the socket. Further, I changed the mains lead push connector to boat socket. Also, to make do, I ran an external mains lead from pontoon socket to saloon for heaters - no problem. I did run it via a 3 pin mains plug rcd.
There was a lot of condensation dripping from locker roof.
Any advice would be welcome.
Regards,
Keith