Author Topic: Bavaria 50 Cruiser (2009) equipment (part 3: 15 photos)  (Read 3645 times)

Viking

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: 50 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2009
I have added quite a lot of extra equipment to my Bavaria 50 Cruiser, which is one of the very last builds of the "traditional style" Bavarias.
Below are a few more of the extras - even more to follow. Any comments and ideas are welcome :)

Cooker
Right from the outset, I replaced the standard Bavaria cooker with a Force 10 that oozes of quality.
It has 3 burners, one of them large. Both on the outside and the oven inside, it has a simple design and is easy to clean. It is a slightly bigger (deeper) than the standard cooker, so I had to cut away a piece of the wooden edge that runs along the tabletops and replace it with a custom made steel tube. Otherwise the gimballing function would not work.
(Photos 1,2)

Fridge
The standard fridge (at the time) was swapped for a Waeco with a stainless steel front.
(Photo 3)

Wet room
I found that three bathrooms in a 50 foot long sailboat was wasting good space, when you are only two persons aboard. So I turned one of them into a 'wet room' for foul weather gear, swimming gear,  laundry and showering. The toilet was removed and replaced by a wooden 'bench' and a simple wall-to-wall expanding tube (the ones used for shower curtains) is used for coathangers.
(Photos 4,5)

Drawer in bathroom
Bathroom storage space is very limited. On a B50 Cruiser (owners version), one of the mirrors open up to allow access to the forward holding tank. On top of it, there is a fair sized, unused space.
A 'Kupol' self-contained drawer in semi-transparent plastic (from Ikea) just fitted in. It is a fairly well-sealed unit, so contents are well protected. I fixed it to the top of the holding tank using semi-strong velcro tape, so that it can be removed easily, if needed.
(Photo 6)

Top mattresses
As is well-known, the standard mattresses are of very poor quality and comfort. (And by-the-by, do not wash the covers - they shrink ... Dry-cleaning works, though)
To improve the sleeping comfort, I have taken a stepwise approach. I bought standard measurement 8 cm thick top mattresses in the best quality and had them fitted to each berth.
If this proves insufficient, I will go ahead and order proper fitted mattresses - I can then still re-use the top mattresses.
(Photo 7)

Coat hooks
A new Bavaria comes without one single hook to offload you of a piece of clothing. I found these foldable hooks nice and practical, and they have been installed in all cabins.
(I forgot the brand, but is a mainstream one, available in the larger chandleries)
(Photos 8,9)

Television & DVD
I have just installed a SMART TV, which connects wirelessly to the WiFi router. Three cables are run to the TV: a standard antenna cable which connects to the mast-top Geonav antenna via an in-line 12V amplifier, a mains cable, and a standard 'line' video cable which connects to the combined radio/CD/DVD player at the navigation station. The cables just fit into a single cable run that happens to be an exact match to the wooden interior.
(Photos 10,11,12,13)

Laptop navigation
At the navigation station, I use a laptop with a swivel touch screen. It is connected with an ethernet cable to the Raymarine system. This allows access to all navigation, instrument and planning (using the Raytech software) functions, as long as the Raymarine system is switched on.
The laptop takes up very little space and has been fixed by two strips of very strong velcro band, so that it is easy to remove and use elsewhere.
(Photos 14,15)

jezzb

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2008
Re: Bavaria 50 Cruiser (2009) equipment (part 3: 15 photos)
« Reply #1 on: December 14 2014, 17:08 »
Very Nice !!

Well Done

Jezz