Author Topic: Sourcing solar panels  (Read 3539 times)

Ziffius

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
  • Boat Year: 2005
Sourcing solar panels
« on: October 31 2013, 10:31 »
Hi, I want to fit some framed rigid solar panels to an arch I am having built onto my pushpit. I would welcome any recommendations of suppliers in UK or Corfu. My options are to fit 2x80W panels  and either have them delivered direct to the marina, or take them as hold baggage from the UK. Unless I can find a supplier in Corfu which so far I have failed - for cheaply priced panels that is. Hold baggage from UK might be a bit dodgy as well due to potential handling damage as well as excess baggage costs.

Some ebay merchants won't deliver overseas, some panels have limited specifications - no mention of bypass diodes for instance and some suppliers won't answer any emails which is a shame as my preferred panel I have seen on ebay is from one of them- Triplesolar
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12v-80W-Solar-PV-Panel-MonoCrystalline-UK-Stock-/251131517950?pt=UK_Gadgets&hash=item3a789adbfe
I would particularly like to hear from anyone who has had dealings with Triplesolar

Lazy Pelican

• Old Salt
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: Sourcing solar panels
« Reply #1 on: October 31 2013, 19:47 »
We took 2x 90w panels as hold baggage to Oporto on Easyjet. I packed them front and back with 'Blue Board' insulation which I subsequently used to improve the fridge insulation. The size and weight are within your standard luggage allowance & the panels survived the journey without damage.
I'd recommend you use a good quality MPPT Controller.

John

Ziffius

• Old Salt
  • Boat Year: 2005
Re: Sourcing solar panels
« Reply #2 on: November 01 2013, 10:05 »
Thanks lazy, who did you get your panels from?