Author Topic: Fitting a shower in a Bavaria 34  (Read 5371 times)

dannyb

• Swab
Fitting a shower in a Bavaria 34
« on: October 16 2013, 18:11 »
I'm thinking about installing a shower in the heads of a Bavaria 34. There seems to be a drain hole blank that presumably needs to be cut out and a drain fitting installed. I guess a shower head would be a fairly simple thing to fit instead of the existing tap. But what about a shower sump and pump? Or should it just drain into the bilge? Any advice from anyone who's been through this exercise would be most appreciated.

Ripster

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 36 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2011
Re: Fitting a shower in a Bavaria 34
« Reply #1 on: October 17 2013, 00:06 »
In our 2011 36, the pipe comes from the shower drain under the floor, routes up under the sink rises about 2 feet, goes through a filter, then a dedicated pump.  Then rises up again to just under sink level before leading back down to a dedicated seacock above the water line - same level as the sink drain.   Not put one in myself, but thought this might be helpful. 

Baltic

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: B39
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #2 on: October 18 2013, 18:51 »

Simondjuk

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 1999
« Reply #3 on: October 22 2013, 23:50 »
In the standard Bav install, there is no sump. The water simply runs toward the waste fitting (currently the blank) due to the fall in the floor, which is simply a grate with a small well and hose barb take off beneath, and is sent overboard as Ripster describes.

Baltic, I'm curious, how have you modified the cubicle floor to allow the water to run through it, be collected and drained to the sump?

Baltic

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: B39
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #4 on: October 25 2013, 06:36 »
Hi

"Baltic, I'm curious, how have you modified the cubicle floor to allow the water to run through it, be collected and drained to the sump?"

We have -06 Bavaria. There is factory installed Jabsco pump with push button and waste water outlet in the well.
I just replaced manual pump and replaced that with automatic sump.

Outlet and original pump with filter on the pictures.

Simondjuk

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 1999
« Reply #5 on: October 27 2013, 11:48 »
Thanks Baltic,

I think I see now. Your standard set up was exactly as ours is, and you've simply fed the water from the chrome waste fitting in the shower to the sump/pump unit so that the water self-drains and pumps. What confused me was that in the photo you posted of the sump, it looked like the entire shower floor had been made into a grate/drain, due to the mesh like matting and what appeared to be a circular wooden grate beneath it, but perhaps that's just the finish of the heads compartment floor of an 06 model, as opposed to ours which is just a white non-slip finish applied to the GRP.

Nice mod. Saves standing in the collecting water, having to pump it manually, and then keep going back and running the pump repeatedly as the remnants of water collect in the standard drain with nowhere to go.