Author Topic: How to add gauges for coolant temperature and oil pressure  (Read 986 times)

marioxp

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2003
I had to replace the cylinder head on the MD2030, everyone tells me it cracked because it overheated. Overheating has never happened to me, I also asked the previous owner and he tells me that he had an alarm once, but 5-6 years have passed since then. It doesn't make sense to me that the cylinder head was cracked for the last 5-6 years. But what is there is there.
I spoke to the mechanic and he tells me that when the alarm goes off it's already too late. The mechanic thinks it's much better to have coolant temperature and oil pressure gauges than alarms, because you can spot earlier when the temperature starts to rise. It doesn't make sense to me, because you don't look at the indicators the whole time you're sailing.

My question is whether I can have alarms and coolant temperature and oil pressure gauges?

I found these sensors. I don't know if I need isolated earth sender or earth return sender?

Do you know which thread and the pressure range is suitable for the MD2030.

https://www.parts4engines.com/perkins-m90-oil-pressure-sender/
https://www.svb24.com/en/kus-oil-pressure-sensor-0-5-bar-10-184-ohm-with-alarm.html

What do you think about this project, does it make sense? Where it makes sense to measure the temperature in order to detect as early as possible that cooling has stopped.

geoff

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: 40 ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: How to add gauges for coolant temperature and oil pressure
« Reply #1 on: February 06 2024, 11:12 »
On my md22 I fitted a raw water flow alarm, any interruption in flow sounds the alarm . It fits in the pipe between raw water strainer and heat exchanger . Very simple very cheap and about as early a warning as you can get.Geoff

Keweetoo

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 35E
  • Boat Year: 1999
« Reply #2 on: February 06 2024, 11:41 »
I fitted a temperature sensor in the exhaust just below the elbow - guage and alarm on binnacle. Works very well with readout of temperature of the exhaust water and an alarm set at 30 deg above max exhaust temp. Whilst it reads the raw water temp not coolant, if the coolant temp increases this will transfer to the raw water and also gives early indication of blockage to raw water flow. Several around but have no issues with the Silicon Marine one (https://www.siliconmarine.com/shop/ )

beeblebrox

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #3 on: February 06 2024, 16:13 »
Same here - fitted an exhaust alarm right after the exhaust elbow (https://webshop.vetus.com/en/products/exhaust-systems/exhaust-system-instruments). Will alert as soon as air/water temp raises - so more or less asap...

GeoffV

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bav 37 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2016
« Reply #4 on: February 06 2024, 17:09 »
I have fitted a temp gauge on my D1 30 - useful to know what normal temp is. But have fitted exhaust alarm like the others for when I do not have time to check visually.

marioxp

• Able Seaman
« Reply #5 on: February 06 2024, 22:36 »
On my md22 I fitted a raw water flow alarm, any interruption in flow sounds the alarm . It fits in the pipe between raw water strainer and heat exchanger . Very simple very cheap and about as early a warning as you can get.Geoff

Geoff,

Could you please tell me more, how did you make it, what parts did you use?

marioxp

• Able Seaman
« Reply #6 on: February 06 2024, 22:39 »
Thanks everyone for the advice!

I have to install a temperature alarm on the exhaust!

geoff

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: 40 ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #7 on: February 07 2024, 08:29 »
Hi marioxp, the flow switch came from RS componants in UK  and cost about £10 [20 years ago] it is a simple flap switch installed in a vertical section of inlet pipe . It is connected to a buzzer at the wheel. It is all made from plastic so is still going strong. It has saved my bacon a couple of times ,blocked inlet strainer /forgot to open the seacock. Geoff [ Iwill try to remember to take a pic]

primozk

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #8 on: February 08 2024, 19:56 »
Hi, what about some DIY alarm? I was looking at the hall-effect senosor like https://www.amazon.co.uk/1-30L-Water-Sensor-Flowmeter-Control/dp/B00NGFOLUG. could be plastic, metal.  Of course some little electronics to measure the flow and raise the alarm.