Author Topic: Bavaria 47 Rebuild or Re-power  (Read 1080 times)

Lightspeed85

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2001
Bavaria 47 Rebuild or Re-power
« on: October 16 2023, 22:01 »
Thoughts on overhauling a Volvo TMD22 P-C vs re-powering?  Original 2001 engine with close to 5k hours.  Dealing with some transmission engagement issues (shaft not sail drive), heat exchanger leak (repairable I hope), raw water pump leak, turbo seal leak, exhaust elbow corroded, general poor cosmetic condition, etc...

I'm fairly handy with some automotive experience and a good network of friends to assist, but rough calculation is $6-8k in parts alone versus spending about $18k for a new Beta Marine 50 w/ transmission...Beta includes custom mounts, but not sure about how much prop shaft and exhaust system rework would be required...

Between Ebay and parts4engines.com, there seems to be a decent supply of Volvo spares now, but not sure that will be the case down the road...

Planning some longer trips so reliability is important, but so is budget and not over investing relative to boat value...

symphony2

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: Bavaria 47 Rebuild or Re-power
« Reply #1 on: October 16 2023, 22:53 »
Never an easy decision and to my mind depends on how long you intend to keep the boat to get value out of the new engine. It is a consumable and keeping the old engine after spending maybe half what a new one would cost is eeking out the last 25% of its life whereas with a new one you have the whole of its life. Having a more refined and potentially reliable engine enhances your enjoyment of the boat and while you won't enhance its resale value by the cost of the engine by the time you have had your few years' use you will still have a viable engine in the boat rather than potentially selling a boat that needs a new engine.

You should not have to change the shaft if it is good condition but you may have to change the propeller depending on the final engine choice and gearbox ratio. The exhaust will have enough capacity but the diameter may be different so you may need an adaptor to match the system to the output diameter of the elbow. be aware that all the service items are in different places compared with the Volvo. The Beta 50 is a bit marginal for a 47 (you won't get hull speed) and you may want to consider going to a 60 particularly if you load the boat heavily and plan to do a lot of motoring or motor sailing

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #2 on: October 16 2023, 22:58 »
Hmm, tricky one. The MD22 is a good engine, but it sounds like yours has got just about everything it can get.

Heat exchanger you really need to look at. If the aluminium is rotten you'll probably have to replace it, although I've seen some welding artwork too. If you can find a good used one, do that and make sure you use the Volvo coolant henceforth.

At 5000 hours it's probably time for a rebuild? How much oil is it eating?

Raw water pump is a Jabsco and not that much, max €200 new if you find it from Jabsco rather than Volvo. Rebuild the old one with seals and maybe shaft/sleeves as spare.

Transmission no idea, we had Saildrive, which one is on there? On the saildrive the cone clutch wears out, €250 part.

Then a new turbo seal and a new exhaust elbow from parts4engines - especially if you can get the stainless version.

So apart from the rebuild which it may or may not need yet it's really just the heat exchanger.

But personally I'd go talk to this guy and get an engine with half the hours, no hole in the HE and keep the old one for parts: https://www.apolloduck.eu/boat/volvo-penta-tmd-22-for-sale/717320

Then just fix the transmission and off you go :)
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: October 17 2023, 09:57 »
I had the same engine on my 49.  Tried to overhaul it, but as I took it apart, everything was knackered.

I ended up replacing it with a Beta 50, which turned out to be a really good move.  Although it looks less powerful (50hp vs 78hp), it's actually more powerful, as it produces its 50hp at 2800rpm, so at cruising revs of 1900rpm, it's got more go, and at low revs (when manouvering), it has more torque as it's a 2.2l engine rather than the 2.0l of the VP.

It turns the other way, so you would have to replace the prop too, but I took the opportunity to fit a Featherstream, which again made a big improvement.

The Beta 50 pretty-much sits straight onto the same mounts as the VP, so is an easy swap-out, the rear mounts go through the same bolt holes, but the front mounts are about an inch further forward, so you just have to drill and tap some new holes. Exhaust is easy, but you will need a reducer to get down to the 2" diameter on the Beta.

If you have any questions about this you want to ask, please PM me.  I can also upload some photos if you want.

blue-max

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: ocean 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #4 on: October 18 2023, 10:08 »
My preference is to stay with what I have got - I've been nurturing my TMD22C-P  because I like it and I'm not happy with the alternative. Replacement just too much of a headache....
Mine has done about 2500 hours over 23 years. Many issues you describe are part of the service life. I've had the heat exchanger serviced - minor welding to the aluminium, turbo  waste gate valve changed, exhaust elbow, (now probably available in stainless steel) timing belt and water pumps changed, oil pipe changed. It starts immediately even after months of non use, exhaust is clean. The power is there when I need it (not often) Its lightweight and compact and relatively easy to  service - oil filter is a pain to  change. Sea water pump is located above the electrical control box ! Not the right place for it. Its still possible to  pick  up  some spares  either new or from scrap engines. I now have cylinder head/gasket set, high pressure fuel  and lift  pumps, water pumps, mounts. On the look out for injectors. Its not noisy but I could improve the sound insulation.
If you change your engine you may also  need to  change the shaft  coupling - I had to  change mine - it was seized -  when changing cutlass bearing and shaft  seal