Author Topic: D2-55 alternator wiring after full engine refit  (Read 1223 times)

tadej.mezek

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: B44
  • Boat Year: 2002
D2-55 alternator wiring after full engine refit
« on: September 24 2023, 14:00 »
HI
After complete engine overhaul D2-55 and a brand new battery bank (engine clock 1,0h) I went on solo passage from Azores to Madeira with my B44 - 2002. All fine as I had wind the hole way, but within the reach of to Madeira wind died and I had to motor for 5 hours! After a while I started to smell strange smell inside the cabin and I thought it is new engine and colors and all things must evaporate from new engine room as well as new engine ...
After a while a smoke pop ups were seen comming from Battery compartment (battery very hot and acid leaking out) ... I immediatelly stopped the engine and started sailing at 1KN just shy few miles off Marina ...
After some consideration I turned on the engine, disconnected the plus (+) from engine battery and continued inbound marina ...
Alternator is at present time on service (bad regulator, as it cooked the batteries - and it was for sure charing 16V since I was unable to stop B2B charger which was filling up my Lithium bank).
I also ordered new alternator to have spare.
I suppose it was bad alternator all the time and with few quick 20min runups these problem was not seen or overlooked by mechanics ...

I would like to kindly ask for some wiring advice or/and shematics for Alternator wiring since what I have connected on alternator is what is seen on the pictures (maybe mechanics did not wire things up correctly). They removed and isolated cable for split charging (since I charge only engine battery from engine and engine battery is charging Lithium bank through B2B charger). I already changed battery to new one :)

So only connections which I have are B+ and B-. It is obvious that at least two wires were connected to D+ but lenghts do not match in this configuration, but it might be changed by mechanics?.  Can someone please explain those to me and wether I shall connect them - or what to measure.
I would rather give this thing to be managed by a professional (but the company which performed the overhaul is 800NM away ...) and also It is quite hard in Portugal and on the Island ... everything is tomorrow and weeks go by ...
All wiring seems to be original and not much changed, except I found out two wires being put together by hand and are free like it is shown on one of the pictures ... not a pro solution from a 10k €+ engine refit bussines...

Thanks for you help

Regards,
Ted

ancanc

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 44 AC
  • Boat Year: 2003
Re: D2-55 alternator wiring after full engine refit
« Reply #1 on: September 24 2023, 19:50 »
Hi,

I have changed the original alternator on a D2-55A (Bavaria 44 2003) to a newer type (claimed to be a 100A one) , made some pictures before I started to change. It might help you to identify the missing connections. The colours of the wires should be the same. What I see are two wires simply cut off, a brown and a blue/red and they should be attached to the terminal #61 (on the top besides the "W"). Other thing is the yellow wire, probably the voltage sensing wire coming back from your battery and it should go the the short yellow wire coming out of the alternator - short-cutted to the B+ on your alternator. The last mentioned shortcut cannot cause overcharging, the yellow line from the battery is there to compensate losses while charging.   

Regards:
Andras

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #2 on: September 24 2023, 20:30 »

I have changed the original alternator on a D2-55A (Bavaria 44 2003) to a newer type (claimed to be a 100A one)

It clearly says 80A on the alternator label.  Are you due a refund?

ancanc

• Second Mate
« Reply #3 on: September 24 2023, 22:58 »
No, it clearly says 60A, these pictures are taken from the original alternator... and maybe you need some reading glasses? :-)

This is the new one:
http://www.letrika-iskra.pl/katalog/ia1202/54396/letrika-iskra/ia1202/alternator

Important: Insulated ground

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #4 on: September 25 2023, 08:02 »
No, it clearly says 60A, these pictures are taken from the original alternator... and maybe you need some reading glasses? :-)

:)) :)) :))

tadej.mezek

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: B44
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #5 on: September 25 2023, 21:26 »
THANKS, I will wire it this way and see :) Not worried about yelow sensing wire since I only charge starter battery with alternator and B2B chargong lithium if needed - but have 700+ of Solar + hydrogenerator so practically do not need engine charging at all.

Do you possibly know the functions of these blue/red and brown wires? (Just to understand what they do:)
Maybe someone will give us shematics :)

Regards, Ted

ancanc

• Second Mate
« Reply #6 on: September 25 2023, 22:25 »
Hi,
one wire goes to the rev-counter meter, the other wire to the warning light...
I would connect a normal voltmeter to Plus and Minus and check the charging voltage at 600rpm, - it should read something around 12.x V then go up  to 1500 revs and up, it should read something up to around 14,3V.   The voltage should not go over 14,4 or 14,5 V, the rev counter should show the correct motor rev and the warning light should not light.  And nothing else should be active as you measure - like solar and Co.
If you do not need the motor to charge your batteries I would cut it off from the house batteries - if something is wrong the alternator can still destroy them by overcharging with too high voltage. If the voltage is Ok like not over 14,4V then it cannot damage your batteries, they take what they need, if they do not need charging they do not take it, they "float" at 14,4V. ( all this is for lead-acid batteries...)
Regards:
Andras

sean c

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47C
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #7 on: September 26 2023, 12:42 »
tadej.mezek
There is a wiring diagram on page 42 of the workshop manual, Electrical System in the 'Download' section of this site.
Sean