Author Topic: What rope for in mast endless reefing line?  (Read 2006 times)

ancanc

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 44 AC
  • Boat Year: 2003
What rope for in mast endless reefing line?
« on: September 14 2023, 00:00 »
Hi,
I changed the endless line for the in mast reefing already twice, still not satisfied...
The first one was too "slippery" and it slipped on the line driver on the mast as I wanted to roll the main in. The second was too sticky and as I rolled out the main, the line driver took the reefing line with (although without load on the reefing line) and the line got jammed at the mast feet - or I had to pull one of the reefing lines too, not to be jammed.
I was trying to find out what ropes the boat (Bavaria 44 / 2003) was originally fitted with, according to the rope colorcodes almost all lines were from Liros (Top Cruising), only the endless reefing line came from Seldén and I do not know what type exactly this rope is.
Has anyone found a good replacement for this or knows which rope maker / what type it is?
Thanks,
Regards:
Andras

elias

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 44
Re: What rope for in mast endless reefing line?
« Reply #1 on: September 14 2023, 05:55 »
Hi , same boat and I think I have a 10mm but always while I unreel pulling the outhaul I pull also the endless line to assist

sy_Anniina

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #2 on: September 14 2023, 07:20 »
Our boat did not have the endless line when we bought her from previous owner, but since then I spliced one in-situ using Selden instructions.

The rope I used was 10mm Gleistein Gemini X, and we have been very pleased. Holds enough when reeling in, and slips mostly while paying the sail out pulling outhaul. However, if the endless gets stuck somewhere in the cockpit, most cases there is some travel of the endless line when opening the main -> resulting unreeling to stop and someone to find why the endless line was stuck.

BR,

Tommi
s/y Anniina

ancanc

• Second Mate
« Reply #3 on: September 14 2023, 16:14 »
Thanks, I also used 10mm ropes, maybe the problem is simply that the line driver is worn out and that's why it slips. Anyhow the outhaul itself is getting more and more difficult with the years passing by, no idea why. I replaced also all Selden rolling parts (Sheaves) for the outhaul line in the boom and on the outhaul block which is running on the top of the boom. And I also use silicone spray. Not helping really - At the end, I installed an electric winch (Harken Unipower 500) on the cabin top mainly for the outhaul and inhaul... It fits perfectly, practically no recess in the cabin - as for the functionality maybe a  bit undersized for the 44. Now I only need the push the button - plus pull one side of the endless line ... I would like the spare the second part.
I will try the Gleistein Gemini X, maybe it is the solution.
Regards:
Andras

elias

• Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: September 14 2023, 21:58 »
If the main is old and has made a belly then furling and unfurling can’t get difficult . Plus watch the tension of the halyard not to be strong and the bend of the mast

ancanc

• Second Mate
« Reply #5 on: September 15 2023, 12:04 »
If I grab the main by hand and pull, it comes out easily, pulling the outhaul line at the winch - it is much more difficult, although as I said changed all parts in between and the outhaul line is also new. I saw this happening on smaller old Bavaria yachts too, do not know the reason.  What I know, if I grab the outhaul block on the boom and push it a bit sideways it stocks immediately. Is there any other type of outhaul block for Seldén booms?

Ailatan

• Able Seaman
« Reply #6 on: September 15 2023, 20:20 »
Same boat and had the same problem.
I changed the endless line to Robline Admiral 10000 Plus because the cover is made out of technora.
I sanded the cover a little bit because any rope is slippery when new.
I used the 10 mm section because is recommended by Selden but if I had to do it again I'll go for 12 mm.
In any case I think that the solution is to change the sheaves of the winch at the mast

ancanc

• Second Mate
« Reply #7 on: September 17 2023, 18:48 »
In any case I think that the solution is to change the sheaves of the winch at the mast
Which part you mean exactly by this?
I have changed all the sheaves in the boom and in the outhaul block running on top of the boom.... Did not help much.

Ailatan

• Able Seaman
« Reply #8 on: September 21 2023, 06:28 »
I don't have the part number but I'll take a picture

ancanc

• Second Mate
« Reply #9 on: September 21 2023, 08:05 »

Ailatan

• Able Seaman
« Reply #10 on: September 21 2023, 15:02 »
In my case I think that the problem is not in the boom like that the parts  B3 and B4 are very worn-out

ancanc

• Second Mate
« Reply #11 on: September 21 2023, 17:29 »
Thanks, on my furler I also saw that  B12 and B19 are also worn out. I read the instructions, Selden recommends to take the mast off and disassemble the unit while the mast is in a horizontal position. I heard from someone in the marina that he took out the whole furler unit on a standing mast - he somehow fixed the furler tube in the mast that it did not fall down.

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #12 on: September 21 2023, 18:20 »
Thanks, on my furler I also saw that  B12 and B19 are also worn out. I read the instructions, Selden recommends to take the mast off and disassemble the unit while the mast is in a horizontal position. I heard from someone in the marina that he took out the whole furler unit on a standing mast - he somehow fixed the furler tube in the mast that it did not fall down.

With the sail on the furler, if you tighten the halyard it will take the weight off the furler gear.  You can then remove one of the clevis pins holding the luff extrusion to the furler gear.  By tightening the halyard a bit more, you can lift the luff extrusion off the furling gear.  Then simply remove the furler gear from the mast and take it somewhere safe to disassemble it.  It's best to put the furler gear in a cardboard tray of some sort before stripping it down, as there are lots of loose ball bearings in it (don't ask how I know this!).

ancanc

• Second Mate
« Reply #13 on: September 23 2023, 08:12 »
Thanks a lot!
As a non-native English speaker I still have to "decode" some parts of your message but I hope with Selden's drawings I will be able to understand it, thanks again.

robmeer

• Swab
  • Boat Model: 46 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #14 on: September 23 2023, 13:54 »
I have the same problem with unfurling the mainsail. If I unfurl by pulling at the sail itself (so on top of the boom), it works easily. If I use the line and pull form within the cockpit, it is almost impossible, even while releasing the sail simultaneously with the endless line. I have changed and lubricated all sheaves, replaced the wheels in the cart on top of the boom, but still no change. So the furler in-mast works fine, getting sail in and out works fine, just not getting it out from within the cockpit...

I hope anayone has had and solved this problem.