Author Topic: Bavaria 36 2003 Volvo 3 Blade Folding Propeller Specification MD2030 MS25S  (Read 1412 times)

stewartv

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2003
Hi Bavaria 36 Owners,
Does anyone have a Bavaria 36 2003 with MD2030 (29hp) engine, MS25S saildrive and a Volvo 3 blade folding propeller?  If so, please could you tell me what the propeller size you have and how it performs?

I have fitted a 16 X 11 3 blade folding prop as specified by a Volvo dealer but I am very dissapointed with the performance.  I now have to rev the engine much higher to obtain the speed I used to achieve with the standard 2 blade fixed propeller (16 X 13).

The Volvo dealer is adamant that the new folding prop is the right one and that if I put a larger prop on it will wear out the engine however I am just not comfortable cruising at 3000+ revs to achieve 6 knots.

I would be very interested to hear from anyone with the same boat and what spec their Volvo folding prop is.

Thank you 

symphony2

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B33
  • Boat Year: 2015
My immediate reaction is that a 16*11 is right. However you should not have to use 3000rpm to get 6 knots. What speed do you get at 3600? The prop should enable the engine to reach a minimum of 3400rpm (but 3600 is OK) which should give a speed of around 7.5knots.

Before you make any changes do some accurate speed measurements with a clean hull, in flat water with no tide or current, at 200rpm intervals from 2000rpm up to as far as it will go. The optimum prop should allow a cruising speed of 5,5knots or so at 2400rpm. I had a similar but a bit heavier 37 with a 2030 and that is what I achieved although with a 2 blade Flexofold - a 3 blade is really not needed for this boat engine combination.

a decent Volvo agent should be familiar with this process as it is basically what is required when commissioning a new installation. When they talk about wearing the engine if the prop is too "big" they are referring to what is known as overpropping which can indeed if extreme overload an engine. However what you describe is the opposite - the prop seems too small. As a guide 1" of pitch change will change revs by between 250-300 so if the speed/revs data is correct going up to a 16*12 will drop the revs to a more reasonable 2700 - still a bit high but  acceptable. As another rules of thumb for this size prop a change from a 2 blade to a 3 blade usually means a reduction of either diameter or pitch of between 1and 1.5".

Slight word of caution is that the Volvo 3 blade is an unusual design and calculations for more conventional props which I have used may not necessarily translate directly. However, if your data is right (and your hull is clean) it is not satisfactory.

Hope this helps 

stewartv

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2003
Thanks for your reply and apologies for the delayed response. I've changed the prop blades now for 17 x 12 blades and been out this weekend which was an amazing experience. This prop is absolutely perfect for my boat.  With a spotlessly clean hull at full throttle she achieves 3,500 RPM and belts along at 7.5- 7.7 knots thru the water.  Under sail this weekend with half the main and half genoa we were beating into a F3 and a bit of tide and still achieving 7.5 knots thru the water.  In the marina there is bags of power for manouvering so I am a happy boy!  Thank you Clipper Marine for recommending this prop!