Author Topic: Bavaria 42 (2000) rudder washer locking nut  (Read 1113 times)

Viviane2000

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 42
  • Boat Year: 2000
Bavaria 42 (2000) rudder washer locking nut
« on: August 27 2023, 20:31 »
Our rudder started to make a 'squeaky' sound in rough seas. The sound was coming from the top of the rudder. I took the top rudder assembly apart and found the culprit i assume. The washer that sits on top of the upper rudder housing and below the rudder locking nut is broken. Some salt and dirt found its way into the crack and damaged the aluminium upper rudder housing a bit. After cleaning, reassembling and tightening the locking nut the sound disappeared.

Two questions:
1. The inner diameter of the delrin washer is smaller then the outer diameter of the rudder stock (the part where the locking nut screws onto, see attached picture). I suppose the inner diameter of the delrin washer should be slightly larger. If not it will crack like mine did. Is that correct?
2. I would like to replace the washer with a new one. Where should i but a new one at reasonable price? Jefa, SVB or some other place?

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Bavaria 42 (2000) rudder washer locking nut
« Reply #1 on: August 27 2023, 20:45 »
SVB does a 51mm ID one, which should work: https://www.svb24.com/en/bavaria-delrin-washer.html

Yours might have shrunk and then cracked as a result of that. POM (Delrin) is also attacked by acids, which are commonly present in boat cleaning products (teak brightener, gelcoat stain remover, stainless cleaner, etc.).
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Viviane2000

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 42
  • Boat Year: 2000
Re: Bavaria 42 (2000) rudder washer locking nut
« Reply #2 on: August 28 2023, 08:24 »
Thanks @Yngmar! The acid making the washer shrink makes sense, will keep an eye out for that. I will order a new one from SVB, thanks again.

I caulked the cover that is above the upper rudder part so there is less change of sand getting in the upper rudder bearing. Does it make sense to protect the upper rudder bearing even more? Build some sort of enclosure around it to fully protect it from salt and sand?