Author Topic: Raymarine EV-100 wheel autopilot won't disengage  (Read 1150 times)

Adam Turner

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: 32 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2010
Raymarine EV-100 wheel autopilot won't disengage
« on: August 18 2023, 09:19 »
Hi,

So I had some problems with my wheel auto pilot, which involves disassembly and reassembly, the installation of a new belt, etc.

Now the autopilot unit is reluctant to disengage. Whatever the underlying cause of this may also explain my original problem.

With the operating lever in standby mode and the controller powered off, when I turn the helm, the clutch still drags.

I have slackened the belt to the maximum according to the instructions. See loosened clutch knob screw in pic.

Any further suggestions welcome.

If I need to contact Raymarine, does someone have a support email address?

Thanks!

Adam Turner

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: 32 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2010
Re: Raymarine EV-100 wheel autopilot won't disengage
« Reply #1 on: August 24 2023, 14:26 »
I've now tried two belts and they're too short, perhaps an attempt by Raymarine to compensate for the fact that they tend to wear out/stretch after about three years' use.

The autohelm works OK if you leave out one of the plastic belt tensioning wheels on assembly. If it lasts long enough to stretch beyond this, perhaps reinserting the wheel will give another lease of life.

Maybe Raymarine should try a stronger material in a slightly longer belt (Kevlar??).