Author Topic: Feathering prop  (Read 1085 times)

Smeaks

• Second Mate
Feathering prop
« on: August 16 2023, 20:52 »
I am after suggestions for the change out of a Volvo folding prop to a darglow type feathering prop.

The boat is a B34 2002 with an MD2020 and a 120 saildrive.

Is there a performance benefit to be found ? If so what are the costs I may expect?

Thanks

symphony2

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: Feathering prop
« Reply #1 on: August 16 2023, 22:52 »
Marginal and probably not worth the £2k or so. I say this as a fan of the Featherstream being on my second with different boats. The best propeller in my view for your setup is a FlexoFold 2 blade in terms of performance  in forward and reverse. You may find a Featherstream a bit better at the margins because of the greater blade area. However you are limited by the power available from the 2020 which is marginal on a 34 with a displacement for 4.5 tonnes

Smeaks

• Second Mate
« Reply #2 on: August 17 2023, 07:29 »
Thanks TBH the engine has always proved satisfactory but I always need to strategise to make in some circumstances and on the 2020 you need to make use of the full engine range which is exactly the feed back I’m looking for …. Does extra blade area = more thrust and less cavitation

Thanks man

symphony2

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #3 on: August 17 2023, 10:08 »
yachtingmonthly.com/gear/folding-and-feathering-propeller-test-29807

This may help you. It is probably the definitive test of propellers and not a lot has changed since then. Unfortunately Volvo did not submit their props for test, but expect the results would be comparable with other folding props, but perhaps not as good as FlexoFold which is generally reckoned to be the best. I had a FlexoFold 2 blade on both my 2001 37 and 2015 33, both 30hp, but of course heavier boats than yours and both performed well. The advantages of the Featherstream show up better with larger engines that need 3 bladed props and in older style boats where there is not space for a feathering prop. You can also specify different pitch in forward and reverse to cope with some gearboxes that have different ratios or to reduce prop walk in reverse. I have this on my current boat which is an old style long keel. Not so important on saildrives which operate in clean water and generally perform well in reverse.

Suggest you speak to Chris at Darglow about the suitability of the Featherstream. he is the expert with years of experience.

Smeaks

• Second Mate
« Reply #4 on: August 17 2023, 17:48 »
Thank you